Work/KE/PE Problem: Solving for Stone Compression Distance

• Thread starter mvpshaq32
  • Start date
In summary, the stone slides down a snow-covered hill with no friction, then travels 100 m on a rough horizontal region before encountering a spring with a force constant of 2.10 N/m. The coefficients of kinetic and static friction are 0.20 and 0.80, respectively. The stone has a velocity of 23.2 m/s at the bottom of the hill and compresses the spring by 28.9 m, but this may not be the final compression as it may come to rest at a different point.
mvpshaq32

Homework Statement

A 12.0 kg stone slides down a snow-covered hill (the figure ), leaving point A with a speed of 12.0 m/s. There is no friction on the hill between points A and B, but there is friction on the level ground at the bottom of the hill, between B and the wall. After entering the rough horizontal region, the stone travels 100 m and then runs into a very long, light spring with force constant 2.10 N/m. The coefficients of kinetic and static friction between the stone and the horizontal ground are 0.20 and 0.80, respectively.

How far will the stone compress the string?
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1000077656/3/YF-07-34.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the velocity at the bottom of the hill, which equals 23.2 m/s. Then I set up the equation 0.5(12)(23.2^2)=0.5kx^2 + 0.2mgL to solve for x, giving 28.9 m, but apparently this is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi mvpshaq32! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
mvpshaq32 said:
… The coefficients of kinetic and static friction between the stone and the horizontal ground are 0.20 and 0.80, respectively.

How far will the stone compress the string?

I found the velocity at the bottom of the hill, which equals 23.2 m/s. Then I set up the equation 0.5(12)(23.2^2)=0.5kx^2 + 0.2mgL to solve for x, giving 28.9 m, but apparently this is wrong.

hmm … for the maximum compression of the spring, that looks correct to me :redface:

maybe, since they give you the coefficient of static friction, they want the compression at which the stone finally comes to rest?

FAQ: Work/KE/PE Problem: Solving for Stone Compression Distance

1. How do I calculate the compression distance of a stone?

The compression distance of a stone can be calculated using the formula: d = (KE + PE)/W, where d is the compression distance, KE is the kinetic energy of the stone, PE is the potential energy of the stone, and W is the work done on the stone.

2. What is the difference between kinetic energy and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. In the context of a stone, kinetic energy would be the energy it has while it is moving, and potential energy would be the energy it has while it is at rest or stationary.

3. How is work calculated in this problem?

The work done on the stone is calculated using the formula: W = F * d, where W is the work, F is the force applied on the stone, and d is the displacement of the stone caused by the force. In this problem, the force would be the weight of the stone and the displacement would be the compression distance.

4. Can this problem be solved using any units of measurement?

Yes, this problem can be solved using any units of measurement as long as they are consistent throughout the calculations. For example, if the mass of the stone is measured in kilograms, then the force and work should also be measured in Newtons, and the distance should be measured in meters.

5. Is there a specific method or equation I should use to solve this problem?

There is no specific method or equation that must be used to solve this problem. However, it is important to understand the concepts of work, kinetic energy, and potential energy in order to correctly solve for the compression distance of the stone. It may also be helpful to use a diagram or illustration to visualize the problem and identify the relevant variables.

Back