WORK/LEVERAGE comparison HELP

• Thread starter xengineguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comparison
In summary, the second engine has a greater effective leverage,and can do more work with the same cylinder pressures/force.
xengineguy
I need to compare two ICE engines. I need to know the "work" of one compared to another.
Let's say the first engine has a bore of 3'' and a sroke of 3" connecting rod 5.25. If you need
cylinder presure,say PCP is 5000psi At 20 degrees ATDC and tapers to 800psi at 90 degrees ATDC. The second engine has the same bore and stroke,and same pressures. The only difference is the effective leverage, which is 10"-1.5" at TDC and 10"+1.5" at BDC,and no connecting rod angle (if that matters)?
I'am not interested in horse power, I just need to compare the work each could do with equal cylinder pressures/force? The second engine is not a conventional crank engine.
I hope this can be solved with the info provided if not please tell me.
Thanks Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thread moved to ME/Aero for better views. xengineguy, even though this if for a project (so it qualifies for the general forums as opposed to the Homework Help forums), we still would prefer that you show us your work and thoughts so far, in order for us to help you figure this out.

Do you know the definitions of power and work?

russ_watters said:
Do you know the definitions of power and work?
Ok fill me in, I was looking for a simple way to compare.

berkeman said:
Thread moved to ME/Aero for better views. xengineguy, even though this if for a project (so it qualifies for the general forums as opposed to the Homework Help forums), we still would prefer that you show us your work and thoughts so far, in order for us to help you figure this out.
Thanks for the move,berkeman.
The engine as designed,is a twin cylinder two stroke. The cylinders are attached to the output shaft,and 90 degrees compared to the shaft axis. Cylinder spacing is 180 degrees from each other. As the pistons move out from the axis the rollers on the pistons contact
the inner surface of the (stator).The inner surface of the stator has a pair of lobes,spaced180 degrees apart. These lobes act similer to a crankshaft in a conventional engine. The first ramp of the lobe is the compression stroke,the second ramp is the power stroke. NOTE: The pistons move down, away from the axis for the power stroke..The lobe height is equal to the stroke of the engine.
The max leverage is not limited to half the stroke...as per conventional engines. I think it is much more? If you would like to see a video of the prototype running go to YOUTUBE /marckel rotor stator engine.

Related to WORK/LEVERAGE comparison HELP

1. How does work compare to leverage?

Work and leverage are two different concepts that are often confused. Work refers to the effort or energy applied to accomplish a task, while leverage refers to the use of a tool or technique to magnify that effort. In other words, leverage is a way to work smarter, not harder.

2. Can you give an example of how leverage can be used in the workplace?

One example of using leverage in the workplace is delegating tasks to others who are better equipped or have more time to complete them. This frees up your time and energy to focus on more important tasks, increasing overall productivity.

3. How can I determine if I am using work or leverage in my current job?

Think about the tasks you are responsible for and how you approach them. If you are constantly putting in long hours and physical effort to complete tasks, you are likely using work. If you are finding ways to streamline processes and delegate tasks to others, you are likely using leverage.

4. Is one better than the other - work or leverage?

Neither work nor leverage is inherently better than the other. Both have their place and can be used effectively depending on the situation. It's important to find a balance between the two and use them in tandem to achieve the best results.

5. How can I use leverage to advance my career?

Using leverage in your career can involve seeking out mentors or networking with individuals who have more experience or knowledge in your field. Learning from these individuals and utilizing their guidance can help you progress in your career more efficiently and effectively.