Work necessary to pump gasoline from a tank

In summary, the problem involves finding the work necessary to pump all the gasoline from a half-cylindrical tank with a diameter of 8 feet and a length of 10 feet to the top of the tank, assuming gasoline weighs 42 pounds per cubic foot. The equation W= ∫42(l-x)A(x)dx can be used, with A(x) representing the cross-sectional area of the tank at height x. A drawing of the end view of the tank, with the origin at the center of the circle and the low point at (0, -4), can be helpful in solving the problem.
hoganmadman

Homework Statement

Suppose a large gasoline tank has the shape of a half cylinder 8 feet in diameter and 10 feet long. If the tank is full find the work (W) necessary to pump all the gasoline to the top of ht tank. Assume gasoline wights 42 pounds per cubic foot.

Homework Equations

W= ∫42(l-x)A(x)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I'm suppose to find the crossectional area then which is A(x) and the the height to which i am pumping the oil. But my problem is i can't draw a picture of the problem and i m a visual learner. I tried having the bottom of the tank be at the origin and placing the y-axis at the radius of 4. Other than that i not sure where to start. Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
hoganmadman said:

Homework Statement

Suppose a large gasoline tank has the shape of a half cylinder 8 feet in diameter and 10 feet long. If the tank is full find the work (W) necessary to pump all the gasoline to the top of ht tank. Assume gasoline wights 42 pounds per cubic foot.

Homework Equations

W= ∫42(l-x)A(x)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I'm suppose to find the crossectional area then which is A(x) and the the height to which i am pumping the oil. But my problem is i can't draw a picture of the problem and i m a visual learner. I tried having the bottom of the tank be at the origin and placing the y-axis at the radius of 4. Other than that i not sure where to start. Any help would be appreciated

Draw a picture of the end view of the tank, which has the shape of the lower half of a semicircle. I would put the origin at the center of the circle, so the the low point of the tank is at (0, -4).

You don't need a drawing of the whole tank; just the end view will do. The volume of liquid in the tank is the cross-sectional area A(x) times 10.

Related to Work necessary to pump gasoline from a tank

What is the work necessary to pump gasoline from a tank?

The work necessary to pump gasoline from a tank is the amount of energy required to move the gasoline from the tank to the desired location. This work includes overcoming the force of gravity, friction, and other resistances in the pumping system.

How is the work necessary to pump gasoline calculated?

The work necessary to pump gasoline is calculated by multiplying the force required to move the gasoline by the distance it needs to be pumped. This force is typically measured in pounds or newtons, and the distance is measured in feet or meters.

What factors affect the work necessary to pump gasoline?

Several factors can affect the work necessary to pump gasoline, including the height difference between the tank and the destination, the length and diameter of the pipes, the type of pump being used, and the viscosity of the gasoline.

Why is work necessary to pump gasoline from a tank?

Work is necessary to pump gasoline from a tank because the gasoline cannot move on its own. It needs to be pushed or pulled by a force, which requires energy. This energy is used to overcome the resistances in the pumping system and move the gasoline to its desired location.

How can the work necessary to pump gasoline be reduced?

The work necessary to pump gasoline can be reduced by minimizing the resistances in the pumping system. This can be achieved by using shorter and wider pipes, more efficient pumps, and reducing the height difference between the tank and the destination. Additionally, using a less viscous gasoline can also reduce the work necessary to pump it.