Work of kinetic friction on block in vertical circle

In summary, when a block of mass 0.015kg loses contact with a circular, vertical track at an angle of 130 degrees, the work done by kinetic friction is Wk=-0.072447J.
galaticman

Homework Statement

1. Homework Statement
A block of mass 0.015kg enters the bottom of a circular, vertical track with a radius R = 0.3m at an initial velocity of 4/ms. If the block loses contact with the track at an angle of 130 degrees, what is Wk, the work done by kinetic friction?

Homework Equations

F=ma
Wtot= Wmg+WN+WFk=1/2*mvf2-1/2*mvi2

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have that Wmg=-mg*(Rcos50+R)=-0.072447J and that WN=0 J
The only part that I am having trouble with is finding vf right before that block leaves the track. Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: I am not sure how to go about relating F=ma=mv2/R without knowing what the friction force is ie. fk

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
galaticman said:

Homework Statement

1. Homework Statement
A block of mass 0.015kg enters the bottom of a circular, vertical track with a radius R = 0.3m at an initial velocity of 4/ms. If the block loses contact with the track at an angle of 130 degrees, what is Wk, the work done by kinetic friction?

Homework Equations

F=ma
Wtot= Wmg+WN+WFk=1/2*mvf2-1/2*mvi2

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have that Wmg=-mg*(Rcos50+R)=-0.072447J and that WN=0 J
The only part that I am having trouble with is finding vf right before that block leaves the track. Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: I am not sure how to go about relating F=ma=mv2/R without knowing what the friction force is ie. fk

Read the thread about 6 down, made by GGDK

When the block loses contact with the track, the normal force is 0. So only the radial component of the weight force contributes to the centripetal acceleration at that point.

PeterO said:
Read the thread about 6 down, made by GGDK

PhanthomJay said:
When the block loses contact with the track, the normal force is 0. So only the radial component of the weight force contributes to the centripetal acceleration at that point.

So if I am understanding this correctly would that mean that:
1. Fxmg=mv2/R
2. mg*sin40=mv2/R
3. vf=√(R*9.8*sin40)
4. vf=1.3747m/s

AND would that also mean that the mass of the block did not matter for Vf

Last edited:
galaticman said:

So if I am understanding this correctly would that mean that:
1. Fxmg=mv2/R
2. mg*sin40=mv2/R
3. vf=√(R*9.8*sin40)
4. vf=1.3747m/s
yes
AND would that also mean that the mass of the block did not matter for Vf
Well, it cancels out, but if the mass was higher, the block would not travel 130 degrees, it would travel less since there is more friction force .. So it does matter, even though you don't need to know it to solve this problem.

I see that per PeterO, help is already being provided in a separate post from another OP. I might just add that instead of using [itex]W_t = \Delta KE[/itex],
which is OK to use, you might want to use the alternate form of the Work-Energy Theorem , [itex]W_{nc} = \Delta PE + \Delta KE[/itex],
where since the normal force does no work and since gravity is not a non-conservative force, then [itex]W_{nc} = W_{friction} [/itex]

thanks so much! I understand the entire problem completely now! you were a huge help

FAQ: Work of kinetic friction on block in vertical circle

1. What is the work of kinetic friction on a block in a vertical circle?

The work of kinetic friction on a block in a vertical circle refers to the amount of energy that is dissipated due to the friction between the block and the surface it is moving on. This work is calculated by multiplying the force of friction by the distance traveled by the block.

2. How does the work of kinetic friction affect the motion of the block in a vertical circle?

The work of kinetic friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the block, causing it to slow down and eventually come to a stop. This work also results in a decrease in the kinetic energy of the block.

3. What factors affect the work of kinetic friction on a block in a vertical circle?

The work of kinetic friction is affected by the coefficient of friction between the block and the surface, the mass and velocity of the block, and the radius of the vertical circle. A higher coefficient of friction, a larger mass or velocity, and a smaller radius will result in a greater work of kinetic friction.

4. How can the work of kinetic friction be reduced in a vertical circle?

The work of kinetic friction can be reduced by using a surface with a lower coefficient of friction, reducing the mass or velocity of the block, or increasing the radius of the vertical circle. Additionally, lubricants can be used to reduce friction and therefore decrease the work of kinetic friction.

5. Is the work of kinetic friction the only factor affecting the motion of a block in a vertical circle?

No, the work of kinetic friction is not the only factor affecting the motion of a block in a vertical circle. Other factors such as the force of gravity, the normal force, and the centripetal force also play a role in the motion of the block.

Back