Work power and energy by a weight lifter

In summary, a weight lifter with a mass of 75kg raises a barbell weight of 70kg to a height of 1.04m above the ground in 0.2 seconds. The total work done in lifting the weight is 714.168 joules. The power of the weight lifter is 1373.4 watts. It is important to also consider the work done by the weight lifter in raising their own mass.
ridsyfootball

Homework Statement

A weight lifter (mass 75Kg) raises body's centre of mass by 0.4 in the process of lifting a barbell weight of 70kg to the height of 1.04m above the ground. Calculate the total work done in lifting the weight.The weight is raised in 0.2 seconds; hence calculate the power of the weight lifter.

Homework Equations

m x a = f
F x s = work
Power= work done/time taken

The Attempt at a Solution

70kg X 9.81 m/s = 686.7N
work= 686.7 X 1.04=714.168 j
How do i work out the distance travelled? the weight lifter wouldn't lift a barbell 1.04m.
power =714.168/0.2=1373.4 W

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi ridsyfootball! welcome to pf! :smile:
ridsyfootball said:
… How do i work out the distance travelled? the weight lifter wouldn't lift a barbell 1.04m.

i don't understand :redface: … that's about chest-height … what's worrying you about that? :confused:

(and don't forget to add the work done by raising his own mass :wink:)

sorry my first post was deleted as i gave u a straight answer
so,

write the coordinates of CM before and after lifting the weight

solve them and u can het the answer

thanks for the help guys i understand now and iv got what i think is the correct answer.

I would like to clarify some assumptions and considerations in the given scenario. First, it is important to note that the calculation of work done involves the displacement of the object, not the distance traveled by the weight lifter. In this case, the displacement is the change in height of the barbell (1.04m), not the distance traveled by the weight lifter.

Secondly, the calculation of power also requires the time taken to perform the work. In this case, it is given that the weight is raised in 0.2 seconds, which can be used to calculate the power of the weight lifter.

Therefore, the total work done by the weightlifter can be calculated as follows:

Work = Force x Displacement = (70kg x 9.81m/s^2) x 1.04m = 714.168 Joules

The power of the weight lifter can be calculated as follows:

Power = Work done/Time taken = 714.168 J / 0.2 s = 3570.84 Watts

In conclusion, the weight lifter has exerted a force of 686.7N to lift the barbell weighing 70kg to a height of 1.04m, resulting in a total work done of 714.168 Joules and a power of 3570.84 Watts in 0.2 seconds. It is important to note that these calculations are based on the given scenario and may vary in real-life situations due to other factors such as the weight lifter's technique and the dynamics of the movement.

Related to Work power and energy by a weight lifter

1. What is work, power, and energy in the context of weightlifting?

Work, power, and energy are all related concepts that describe the physical exertion required to lift a weight. Work is the amount of force applied to an object over a distance, power is the rate of doing work, and energy is the ability to do work.

2. How does a weightlifter's technique affect their work, power, and energy?

A weightlifter's technique can greatly impact their work, power, and energy output. Proper form and technique can help a weightlifter efficiently use their muscles and generate more power, leading to increased work and energy output.

3. How does the weight of the weightlifter affect their work, power, and energy?

The weight of the weightlifter can also impact their work, power, and energy output. A heavier weightlifter will require more force to lift the weight, leading to increased work and energy output. However, a heavier weightlifter may also have more muscle mass and therefore be able to generate more power, which can offset the extra work required.

4. What role do different muscle groups play in work, power, and energy during weightlifting?

Different muscle groups have different roles in work, power, and energy during weightlifting. Some muscles are responsible for generating force and power, while others work to stabilize the body and maintain proper form. The combination of these muscle groups is important for efficient and effective weightlifting.

5. How does the amount of weight lifted affect work, power, and energy?

The amount of weight lifted directly impacts work, power, and energy. The more weight that is lifted, the more work is required to move the weight over a certain distance. This also requires more power to generate the necessary force, resulting in a higher energy output by the weightlifter.