Work, Power, Frictional Force - seems a bit tricky for me

In summary: Power is force times velocity......hint: Let's keep it simpleGoing up,Force = W*sin(theta) + W/24Going down,Force = W/24 - W*sin(theta)
iJamJL

Homework Statement

A highway goes up a hill, rising at a constant rate of 1.00 m for every 48 m along the road. A truck climbs this hill at constant speed vup = 19 m/s, against a resisting force (friction) f equal to 1/24 of the weight of the truck. Now the truck comes down the same hill, using the same power as it did going up. Find vdown, the constant speed with which the truck comes down the hill.
ASSUME: the resisting force (friction) has the same magnitude going up as going down.

Homework Equations

W=F*s
F=μ*N

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure how to start this problem. What I've done so far is I've drawn this picture out, and that's all I can do. I drew it on a graph, and so the slope is 1/48 because the truck goes up 1 meter for every 48 meters it moves to the right of the origin. Then, the frictional force is applied downhill when the truck is traveling up, and the opposite when the truck is traveling down. I'm trying to find the power, or at least work, of the truck traveling up the hill, but it's not very clear because it doesn't say how far it traveled. We could use the measure of traveling to right 48m and 1m up, and then use that same amount to travel back down, but I'm still having trouble beginning this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]W = F * s[/itex]

[itex]s = v * t[/itex]

since we have constant speed, this means the resultant force is 0.

Anyway, since when going down we have the same friction, the power remains the same too, what should the CONSTANT speed be? check it out and let us know

tonit said:
[itex]W = F * s[/itex]

[itex]s = v * t[/itex]

since we have constant speed, this means the resultant force is 0.

Anyway, since when going down we have the same friction, the power remains the same too, what should the CONSTANT speed be? check it out and let us know

Based on what you're saying, it sounds like it goes down the hill at the same speed (19 m/s) as it does going up. However, since we're going downhill, wouldn't we need to account for another factor? I'm not sure what exactly that is since:

mgsinθ - Ffriction = ma = 0
mgsinθ = Ffriction

Like you said, the resultant is 0 because the truck is traveling at constant velocity, and there is no acceleration. I assume I'm not seeing a key factor..

Okay, so I realized that since this is an incline, we need to include it with the forces:

Going up,

F(truck) - Friction - mgsin(theta) = 0

That means going down,

-(F(truck) + mgsin(theta)) - friction = 0

I don't know whether to add them or set them equal to each other..

Hint:

Since the problem broaches the subject of power, equate power consumption going up to the power consumption going down. Power is force times velocity.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Hint: Let's keep it simple

Force to go up = W*sin(theta) + W/24
Force to go down = W/24 - W*sin(theta)

Power = force*velocity

You know the velocity up.

Equate power up to power down.

Related to Work, Power, Frictional Force - seems a bit tricky for me

What is work?

Work is defined as the product of the force applied to an object and the displacement of the object in the direction of the force.

What is power?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is equal to the work done divided by the time it takes to do the work.

What is frictional force?

Frictional force is a resistive force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion. It is caused by the interaction between two surfaces in contact.

How does frictional force affect work and power?

Frictional force can decrease the amount of work done on an object and decrease the power required to move the object. This is because frictional force acts in the opposite direction of the applied force, making it more difficult to move the object.

How can frictional force be reduced?

Frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces in contact. Another way to reduce frictional force is by using smoother surfaces or decreasing the force applied to the object.