Work required to move particles

The key is to calculate the change in potential energy of the system, which is equal to the work done by an external agent.
RKOwens4

Homework Statement

"Three particles with charges q1 = +10 µC, q2 = -20 µC, and q3 = +35 µC are positioned at the vertices of an isosceles triangle as shown in the figure. a = 12 cm and b = 6.0 cm.

(a) How much work must an external agent do to exchange the positions of q1 and q3?

(b) How much work must an external agent do to exchange the positions of q1 and q2, instead?"

Figure: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/641/webassign.jpg/

Homework Equations

W=(kq1q2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I know (or think) that you have to sum up the work required. I know how to do this when the problem says that the particles are taken from infinity to some given position, but I don't know how to calculate the work required to move them from the given position in the figure to the new arrangement.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the change of the potential energy of the system: it is equal to the work done by the external agent.

ehild

FAQ: Work required to move particles

What is work required to move particles?

The work required to move particles is the amount of energy needed to displace a particle from one position to another. It is a measure of the force applied to move the particle over a distance.

What factors affect the work required to move particles?

The work required to move particles is dependent on several factors, including the mass of the particle, the distance it needs to be moved, and the force applied to move it. Additionally, the medium in which the particle is being moved can also affect the work required.

How is the work required to move particles calculated?

The work required to move particles can be calculated using the formula W = F*d, where W is the work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance over which the particle is moved.

Can the work required to move particles be negative?

Yes, the work required to move particles can be negative if the force applied is in the opposite direction of the displacement. This means that the particle is actually gaining energy rather than expending it as it is being moved.

How does the work required to move particles relate to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The work required to move particles is a form of energy transfer, and therefore, it is directly related to the first law of thermodynamics.

Back