Work to move a point charge from infinity to the centre of a charge distribution

LeoJakob
Electrostatic potential $$ \Phi(\vec{r})=k \int \mathrm{d}^{3} r \frac{\rho\left(\vec{r}^{\prime}\right)}{\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r}^{\prime}\right|} (i) $$ with $$ k=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}} $$ in SI units.
What work is required to move a point charge q from infinity to the center of the through $$ \rho(\vec{r})=\rho_{0}\mathrm{e}^{-a r} (ii) $$ given charge distribution, where $$ a \text{ and } \rho_{0} $$ are constants? Work in Gaussian units.

To solve the problem I would use spherical coordiantes. The potential only depends on the radial difference between the charge q with position
$$\vec{r} = r\hat{e}_r \text{ and the location vector of the charge distribution element } \vec{r'} = r' \hat{e}_r \text{ such that }\\
\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}\right| = \sqrt{(r-r')^2}
$$

$$\text{Define } \Phi(\infty)=0 \text{ then the work is given by } W= q \Phi(\vec r)=q \Phi(r)$$

$$W= q\Phi(\vec{r})=k \int \mathrm{d}^{3} r' \frac{\rho\left(\vec{r}^{\prime}\right)}{\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r}^{\prime}\right|}= \int \mathrm{d}^{3} r' \frac{\rho(r^{\prime})}{\sqrt{(r-r')^2}}=4\pi\int \limits_\infty^0 (r')^3 \frac{\rho(r^{\prime})}{\sqrt{(r-r')^2}}dr^{\prime}$$

The factor 4pi comes from the integration in spherical coordinates and k=1 in Gaussian units.

Is my approach right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the 3 in $$4\pi\int \limits_\infty^0 (r')^3 \frac{\rho(r^{\prime})}{\sqrt{(r-r')^2}}dr^{\prime}$$is a typo ?

I don't agree with
LeoJakob said:
the potential only depends on the radial difference between the charge q with position

And certainly not with ##\left |\vec{r}-\vec{r}^{\prime}\right| = {\sqrt{(r-r')^2}}##

However -- fortunately -- you are only interested in ##\vec r=\vec 0##, so if you fill that in in ##(i)## you're allright.

##\ ##

Likes LeoJakob
BvU said:
I assume the 3 in $$4\pi\int \limits_\infty^0 (r')^3 \frac{\rho(r^{\prime})}{\sqrt{(r-r')^2}}dr^{\prime}$$is a typo ?

I don't agree withAnd certainly not with ##\left |\vec{r}-\vec{r}^{\prime}\right| = {\sqrt{(r-r')^2}}##

However -- fortunately -- you are only interested in ##\vec r=\vec 0##, so if you fill that in in ##(i)## you're allright.

##\ ##
First of all: Thanks for taking the time to answer me :)

the 3 in $$4\pi\int \limits_\infty^0 (r')^3 \frac{\rho(r^{\prime})}{\sqrt{(r-r')^2}}dr^{\prime}$$is a typo because:

$$W= q\Phi(\vec{r})=k \int \mathrm{d}^{3} r' \frac{\rho\left(\vec{r}^{\prime}\right)}{\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r}^{\prime}\right|}=\int \limits_{0}^{2 \pi} \int \limits_{0}^{\pi} \int \limits_{\infty}^{0} \frac{p\left(r^{\prime}\right)}{\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r}^{\prime}\right|}(\sin \theta) \cdot\left(r^{\prime}\right)^{2} d r^{\prime} d \theta d \phi \\ =\int \limits_{0}^{2 \pi} d \phi \int \limits_{0}^{\pi} \sin \theta d \theta \int \limits_{\infty}^{0}\left(r^{\prime}\right)^{2} \frac{\rho \left(r^{\prime}\right)}{\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r}^{\prime}\right|} d r^{\prime} =4\pi\int \limits_\infty^0 (r')^2 \frac{\rho(r^{\prime})}{\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r}^{\prime}\right|}dr^{\prime} \\ \Rightarrow $$

Would you agree with(?):

$$q\Phi(0)=4\pi\int \limits_\infty^0 (r')^2 \frac{\rho_{0}\mathrm{e}^{-a r^{\prime}})}{\left|\vec{r}^{\prime}\right|}dr^{\prime} $$

Why do you think the following is wrong?

$$\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r}^{\prime}\right|=\left|\left(r-r^{\prime}\right) \vec{e}_{r}\right|=\left|r-r^{\prime}\right| \cdot \underbrace{\| \vec{e}_{r}||}_{=1}=\sqrt{\left(r-r^{\prime}\right)^{2}} $$

LeoJakob said:
First of all:

Ah, and I forgot:
:welcome: ##\qquad ##!​

LeoJakob said:
Why do you think the following is wrong?$$\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r}^{\prime}\right|=\left|\left(r-r^{\prime}\right) \vec{e}_{r}\right|=\left|r-r^{\prime}\right| \cdot \underbrace{\| \vec{e}_{r}||}_{=1}=\sqrt{\left(r-r^{\prime}\right)^{2}}$$
Which ##\vec e_r## would that be ? The one from ##\vec r## or the one from ##\vec r'## ?

If ##|\vec r| = |\vec r'|## then ##|\vec r -\vec r'| =0 ## only if ##\theta=\theta'\ \&\ \phi=\phi'## !
1706223420229.png

The ##\hat e_r ## unit vector for ##\vec r -\vec r'## is not along ##\hat e_r## nor is it along ##\hat e_{r'}## !##\ ##

Last edited:
Likes LeoJakob
Thanks for the welcome :) I now understand my mistake, thank you very much ! :)

Related to Work to move a point charge from infinity to the centre of a charge distribution

What is the definition of work done in moving a point charge from infinity to the center of a charge distribution?

The work done in moving a point charge from infinity to the center of a charge distribution is defined as the amount of energy required to move the charge against the electric field created by the charge distribution, bringing it from a point where the potential is zero (at infinity) to the specified point (the center of the charge distribution).

How is the work calculated when moving a point charge in an electric field?

The work \( W \) required to move a point charge \( q \) from infinity to a point in an electric field is given by the product of the charge and the electric potential \( V \) at that point: \( W = qV \). The electric potential \( V \) at the center of the charge distribution is calculated by integrating the contributions of all individual charges in the distribution.

What factors influence the amount of work needed to move a point charge from infinity to the center of a charge distribution?

The amount of work required depends on several factors, including the magnitude of the point charge \( q \), the configuration and magnitude of the charges in the distribution, and the distance between these charges and the center of the distribution. The resulting electric potential at the center of the distribution is crucial in determining the work done.

How does the symmetry of a charge distribution affect the work done in moving a point charge to its center?

The symmetry of a charge distribution can simplify the calculation of the electric potential at its center. For instance, in a spherically symmetric charge distribution, the potential at the center can be found more easily using Gauss's Law. Symmetry allows for more straightforward integration and can reduce the complexity of the problem.

Can the work done in moving a point charge from infinity to the center of a charge distribution be negative?

Yes, the work done can be negative if the electric potential at the center of the charge distribution is negative, meaning that the charge is moved to a region of lower potential energy. This typically occurs in the presence of negatively charged distributions or when the point charge itself is negative and is moving towards a positively charged distribution.