Working on some old exam problems

• Thread starter eq123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the conversation was about solving exam problems related to the concept of work done. The first problem asked about finding the magnitude of the force from a wall stopping a bullet, the second problem involved calculating the work done by a spring with a mass hanging from it, the third problem asked about the work done by the force of gravity on a rotating object, and the fourth problem involved calculating the work done by gravity on an object moving in a circular motion. The summary also includes the conversation about the spring constant and the use of the work-energy theorem to solve the last two problems.
eq123
hey everyone .. I've been working on some old exam problems .. i couldn't figure these out :(

A 40-g bullet, with a horizontal velocity of 500 m/s, comes to a stop 20 cm within a solid wall. What is the magnitude of the force from the wall stopping it? (Assume this force to be constant) (Ans: 25000 N)

An ideal spring is hung vertically from the ceiling. When a 2.0-kg mass hangs at rest from it, the spring extends 6.0 cm from its relaxed length. A downward external force is now applied to the mass to extend the spring an additional 10 cm. Find the work done by the spring force while the spring extension changes from 6.0 cm to 16 cm. (Ans: – 3.6 J)

A body of mass M = 2.00 kg, tied to a string, rotates in a vertical circle of radius R = 1.00 m. Find the work done by the force of gravity on the body during one full revolution. (Ans: zero)

A man moves the 10-kg object shown in figure 6 in a vertical plane from position X to position Y along a circular track of radius R = 20 m. What is the work done by the force of gravity during this motion? (Ans: − 3920 J)

Physics news on Phys.org

thank you for your fast respond :)

i couldn't figure anything out for problems 1, 3, 4 :(

as for problem 2 .. this is what i did ..when relaxed

wnet = ws + wg = ∆k = 0
ws = -wg
Fs d = -Fg d
Fs = -Fg
-kx = -mg
k = mg/x = 2(9.8)/(0.06) = 327 N/m

when external force is applied

ws = -0.5k(x2f - x2i) = -0.5(327)(0.162 - 0.062) = -3.6 Ji am pretty sure that this solution is wrong!

i have a question related to the spring constant .. is it always positive?

you can notice that i am having some difficulties in the last two questions with work done on circular motion .. so please .. i would appreciate it if you explained that ..

hi eq123! :smile:
eq123 said:
as for problem 2 .. this is what i did ..

yes that looks ok :smile:

what is worrying you about it? :confused:
i have a question related to the spring constant .. is it always positive?

you answer that …

if k is negative, say -100, then d2x/dt2 = 100x …

what does that mean, and is it possible to have a spring like that? :wink:

for the last two questions about https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=75" you should use the work-energy theorem :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello, I understand that you are struggling with some old exam problems. I would be happy to help you work through them. For the first question, we can use the equation F=mv^2/r to calculate the force from the wall. Plugging in the given values, we get F=(0.04 kg)(500 m/s)^2/(0.2 m) = 25000 N. This means that the wall exerts a constant force of 25000 N to stop the bullet.

For the second question, we can use the equation W=1/2kx^2 to calculate the work done by the spring force. Plugging in the given values, we get W=1/2(2.0 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(0.1 m)^2 - 1/2(2.0 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(0.06 m)^2 = -3.6 J. This negative value indicates that the work done by the spring force is in the opposite direction of the applied force, which makes sense since the spring is extending.

For the third question, the work done by the force of gravity is equal to the change in potential energy. Since the body returns to its original position after one full revolution, the change in potential energy is zero. Therefore, the work done by gravity is also zero.

For the last question, we can use the equation W=mgΔh to calculate the work done by the force of gravity. Plugging in the given values, we get W=(10 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(20 m) - (10 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(0 m) = -3920 J. This negative value indicates that the work done by gravity is in the opposite direction of the motion of the object, which makes sense since the object is moving downward. I hope this helps you understand these problems better. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck on your exams!

Related to Working on some old exam problems

1. What is the benefit of working on old exam problems?

Working on old exam problems can help you review and reinforce your understanding of the material. It also allows you to practice applying the concepts to different scenarios, which can improve your problem-solving skills.

2. How can working on old exam problems help me prepare for future exams?

By working on old exam problems, you can familiarize yourself with the types of questions that may appear on future exams. This can help you anticipate the format and difficulty level of the exam, and prepare accordingly.

3. Is it better to work on old exam problems alone or with a study group?

It ultimately depends on your learning style and preferences. Some people find it beneficial to work on old exam problems alone, as they can focus and work at their own pace. Others may benefit from discussing the problems with a study group, as it can provide different perspectives and help clarify any confusion.

4. How can I use old exam problems to identify my weak areas?

If you keep track of your progress and the problems you struggle with, you can use old exam problems to identify patterns and areas where you may need more practice. This can help you focus your studying and improve your overall understanding of the material.

5. Can working on old exam problems guarantee a good grade on the actual exam?

While working on old exam problems can certainly improve your understanding and preparation, it cannot guarantee a specific grade on the actual exam. Other factors such as test-taking skills and the difficulty of the actual exam can also impact your grade. However, practicing with old exam problems can certainly increase your chances of success.