Working out signs of work and heat for entropy change question

In summary: Yes. W = -Wout. The compressor does work on the system, but the system does work on the surroundings. In any case, the sign convention is arbitrary, the important thing is to use the same convention consistently. I prefer to be consistent with the definition of COP.Thanks yes I thought I'd have to reverse the sign convention. Well I'm sure it's all clear now. Many thanks.
shakeybear
N.B. My set question is actually almost identical to another posted here https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=368672 but my question is not answered there.

Homework Statement

The temperature inside a refrigerator is 275K. The room containing it has a
temperature of 295K. In one hour, 95 kJ of heat are transferred
from the interior to the room.

Calculate the entropy change of (i) the contents
of the refrigerator, and (ii) the room? (Assume that the heat transfer is
reversible.)

Homework Equations

ΔU = Q + W

ΔS = [itex]\frac{Q}{T}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Tc = 275 K
Th = 295 K

Qc = -95 kJ (as heat is leaving the system)
Qh = Qc + W

So we need to find W

W=[itex]\frac{Q_c}{k}[/itex]

where

k=[itex]\frac{T_c}{T_h-T_c}[/itex]=13.75

so

W = -6.909 kJ

Problem 1: Why is this value of W negative? Logically we know that this must be work being done on the system by the compressor in the refrigerator so surely work should be positive? I can't see a flaw in the logic of my maths though so I'll accept it for now and move on.

Problem 2: Qh is heat flowing INTO the environment. As this is the opposite of what is happening inside the refrigerator it makes sense to me to consider

Qh = |Qc + W|

so we end up with a positive quantity for Qh, is this logic correct? is there a more rigorous mathematical argument I can follow instead of just using logic?

so

Qh = 101.9 kJ

which gives entropy changes

ΔSc = [itex]\frac{Q_c}{T_c}[/itex] = -0.345 kJ /K

ΔSh = [itex]\frac{Q_h}{T_h}[/itex] = 0.345 kJ /K

Which equal 0 when added which is what I'd expect for this idealised reversible system. Assuming my answers are indeed right can someone please explain the two points of contention I have in the working above?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shakeybear said:
N.B. My set question is actually almost identical to another posted here https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=368672 but my question is not answered there.

Homework Statement

The temperature inside a refrigerator is 275K. The room containing it has a
temperature of 295K. In one hour, 95 kJ of heat are transferred
from the interior to the room.

Calculate the entropy change of (i) the contents
of the refrigerator, and (ii) the room? (Assume that the heat transfer is
reversible.)

Homework Equations

ΔU = Q + W

ΔS = [itex]\frac{Q}{W}[/itex]
You have to start with the correct definition of entropy:

[tex]\Delta S = \int dS = \int \frac{dQ_{rev}}{T}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Tc = 275 K
Th = 295 K

Qc = -95 kJ (as heat is leaving the system)
Qh = Qc + W

So we need to find W

W=[itex]\frac{Q_c}{k}[/itex]

where

k=[itex]\frac{T_c}{T_h-T_c}[/itex]=13.75

Ok so far. Your k is normally referred to as the coefficient of performance, COP.
so

W = -6.909 kJ

Problem 1: Why is this value of W negative? Logically we know that this must be work being done on the system by the compressor in the refrigerator so surely work should be positive? I can't see a flaw in the logic of my maths though so I'll accept it for now and move on.
The definition of COP is:

COP = output/input = Heat removed/work input = |Qc|/W where W is the work done ON the system.

By using COP = Qc/W you are implicitly defining W as the work done BY the system.

AM

Dear Shakeybear,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Shakey, your analysis looks Shakey.

If 95 kJ of heat are removed from the refrigerator contents, then a greater amount of heat must be rejected to the room (because of the work done by the compressor). Since the refrigeration package is running in a cycle, the heat rejected to the room minus the heat removed from the contents must equal the work done by the compressor. Since the system is stated to operating reversibly, you must have that:

-95/275 + Qroom/295 = 0

As you correctly assumed, the overall change in entropy for the system plus surroundings is zero.

Andrew:

Interesting. I can't use that formulation of COP though as I only know Qc. Do you think my conclusions, that for this ideal case the entropy changes should cancel is reasonable? If so then there's nothing very dramatic I can change in the working.

If I understand you correctly what I have calculated is not Win at all but Wout. If correct then simply relabelling will solve that problem for me.

Thanks.

Chestermiller said:
Dear Shakeybear,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Shakey, your analysis looks Shakey.

If 95 kJ of heat are removed from the refrigerator contents, then a greater amount of heat must be rejected to the room (because of the work done by the compressor). Since the refrigeration package is running in a cycle, the heat rejected to the room minus the heat removed from the contents must equal the work done by the compressor. Since the system is stated to operating reversibly, you must have that:

-95/275 + Qroom/295 = 0

As you correctly assumed, the overall change in entropy for the system plus surroundings is zero.

Thanks for your reply.

Which part looks shakey exactly? is your formulation

-95/275 + Qroom/295 = 0

Not equivalent to mine with Qh = Qroom?

-95/275 = -0.345
101.9/295 = 0.345

As someone else said, your formula for S is wrong. Invoke the fact that total entropy of the universe is zero:

Qh/Th = Qc/Tc. You know 3 of the 4 parameters already, solve for the 4th!

Thanks, but to be clear the problem is not really how to solve this, as far as I'm aware I've already solved it, unless someone corrects me. The problem I have now is explaining why it works. Andrew provided some insight into this but I'm still not convinced as to why the value of work is negative.

Yes, I made a typo in the entropy equation, thanks for pointing that out, I'll edit.

shakeybear said:
Andrew:

Interesting. I can't use that formulation of COP though as I only know Qc.
Sure you can. W = Qc/COP where COP = Tc/(Th-Tc)
Do you think my conclusions, that for this ideal case the entropy changes should cancel is reasonable? If so then there's nothing very dramatic I can change in the working.
Certainly. Since it is reversible, Qc/Tc = -Qh/Th.

If I understand you correctly what I have calculated is not Win at all but Wout. If correct then simply relabelling will solve that problem for me.
Just treat Qc = |Qc| when using COP. This is implicit in your statement that W = Qh-Qc. This is only true if you are taking the absolute values of the heat flows. You can see this from the first law:

If you are using the first law form:

ΔU = Q - W then W is the work done BY the system. Since in any complete cycle ΔU = 0 so W = Q = Qh+Qc. For an engine Qh is negative and Qc is positive. For a refrigerator, it is the opposite.

So the only way you can say that W = Qh-Qc is if you are using the absolute values of the heat flows and assuming that W is the work done ON the system where it is a refrigerator.

AM

Last edited:
shakeybear said:
Thanks for your reply.

Which part looks shakey exactly? is your formulation

-95/275 + Qroom/295 = 0

Not equivalent to mine with Qh = Qroom?

-95/275 = -0.345
101.9/295 = 0.345

Shakeybear, Please forgive me. I didn't read your analysis carefully enough. You were , of course, correct. Sorry :redface:

Chet

shakeybear said:
The problem I have now is explaining why it works. Andrew provided some insight into this but I'm still not convinced as to why the value of work is negative.

Depends on how you define work. Thermodynamicists almost always write U = Q - W.

In thermodynamics it's traditionally W = ∫pdV. So for a refrigeration cycle, we have isothermal compression at a high p and isothermal expansion at a low p, so the net work is < 0 since ∫phighdV is negative and larger in magnitude than ∫plowdV which is > 0 (the area inside the loop on a p-V diagram is work; if the circulatin is ccw then w < 0 but if it's cw then W > 0.

There is no work done on the air in the refrigerator, and there is no work done on the air in the room. The work gets done on the refrigerant fluid. Since the refrigerant operates in a cycle, the change in internal energy of the refrigerant is zero. That means that the work done on the refrigerant plus the net heat added to the refrigerant is zero (Q + W = 0). Since the refrigerant receives 95 kJ from the refrigerator contents, and rejects 101.9 kJ to the room, the net heat added to the refrigerant Q = 95 - 101.9 kJ = -6.9 kJ. Therefore, the work done by the compressor on the refrigerant is + 6.9 kJ.

Chet

Related to Working out signs of work and heat for entropy change question

1. What is the equation for calculating entropy change in terms of work and heat?

The equation for calculating entropy change is ΔS = ΔQ / T, where ΔS represents the change in entropy, ΔQ represents the change in heat, and T represents the temperature in Kelvin.

2. How do you determine the sign of work and heat in an entropy change question?

The sign of work and heat can be determined by considering the direction of energy transfer. If energy is being transferred into the system, then work and heat will have positive signs. If energy is being transferred out of the system, then work and heat will have negative signs.

3. Can entropy change be negative?

Yes, entropy change can be negative. This occurs when the system becomes more ordered and there is a decrease in the number of possible microstates.

4. Is it possible for both work and heat to have negative signs in an entropy change question?

Yes, it is possible for both work and heat to have negative signs in an entropy change question. This could happen if energy is being transferred out of the system and the system becomes more ordered, resulting in a negative change in entropy.

5. How does temperature affect entropy change?

Temperature plays a crucial role in determining the magnitude of entropy change. As temperature increases, the change in entropy becomes larger for the same amount of energy transfer. This is because there are more possible microstates at higher temperatures, resulting in a larger change in entropy.