Working out The law of the machine

In summary, the conversation is about working out the law of the machine for a pulley system. The person has already gathered relevant information and calculated the mechanical advantage, velocity ratio, and efficiency. They are now seeking help in finding the equation for the law of the machine and using their experimental data to determine the last term in the equation.
Rangers178
I have worked out all relevant information (i hope) but I am unsure of how to work out the law of the machine from it. We've done a test and recorded our results of a Pully.
We had to measure different loads and see what effort was required for each load. What is the formula for working out the law of the machine?
I have worked out Mechanical Advantage (MA), Velocity Ratio (VR) and the efficiency (η).

Any help be great

Physics news on Phys.org
Rangers178 said:
I have worked out all relevant information (i hope) but I am unsure of how to work out the law of the machine from it. We've done a test and recorded our results of a Pully.
We had to measure different loads and see what effort was required for each load. What is the formula for working out the law of the machine?
I have worked out Mechanical Advantage (MA), Velocity Ratio (VR) and the efficiency (η).

Any help be great

Welcome to the PF.

There is a Relevant Equation for the Law of the Machine (for machines that have mechanical advantage, like a pulley system). What is that equation? What are the terms defined as in that equation? How do the terms relate to the mechanical advantage? What is the extra term at the end of the equation? What does it represent? How can your experimental data be used to find this last term...?

Related to Working out The law of the machine

1. What is the law of the machine?

The law of the machine, also known as the law of robotics, is a set of rules and principles that govern the behavior and operation of autonomous machines and robots. These rules are designed to ensure the safety and ethical use of machines and to prevent harm to humans.

2. How is the law of the machine enforced?

The law of the machine is enforced through a combination of legislation, regulations, and ethical guidelines. Governments and organizations may create laws and regulations that dictate the design, manufacturing, and use of machines, while ethical guidelines provide a framework for responsible and ethical use of machines.

3. What are the main principles of the law of the machine?

The three main principles of the law of the machine are:

• Robots and machines must not harm humans.
  • Robots and machines must obey orders given by humans, except where such orders would conflict with the first principle.
  • Robots and machines must protect their own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the first or second principle.

4. How does the law of the machine impact technology and innovation?

The law of the machine can have a significant impact on technology and innovation. It may restrict the design and capabilities of machines to ensure they comply with the principles and regulations. However, it can also encourage the development of new technologies and solutions that align with the principles and promote responsible and ethical use of machines.

5. Are there any current debates or challenges surrounding the law of the machine?

Yes, there are ongoing debates and challenges surrounding the law of the machine. Some argue that the principles are not specific enough and may not adequately address potential ethical dilemmas. Others argue that the law of the machine may limit technological advancements and hinder progress. Additionally, there are debates about how the law of the machine should be enforced and who should be responsible for regulating and enforcing it.