Working towards BS General Chemistry, having second thoughts x:

In summary: It is essential to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals before making a decision. I hope this summary has been helpful, and I wish you all the best in your academic and professional journey.In summary, Emy is in her 3rd year of college, majoring in chemistry but considering switching to geology due to her dislike of lab work. She seeks feedback on career opportunities and job market for both fields, as well as the possibility of pursuing an MBA. She also asks about the experiences of others majoring in chemistry or geology.
emmy
Hi guys-

I hope this is the right place to put this... I kind of want objective feedback, even if I don't like it c:

I am currently in my 3rd year, 1st semester of college, and since high school, I have been stuck in the mindset that I will major in chemistry. I really wanted and still want to make perfumes, fragrances, or work generally with aromatic compounds and manipulate them in a consumer friendly way. (You get the picture).

I love the concepts of chemistry. I am currently in my second term and 3rd year of chemistry club on campus and am very involved in that. I am a serious student, and although my grades aren't straight A's, nothing is below a B. I am also in the honors program on campus.

Up until now, I have really enjoyed all of my chemistry lectures, and have gotten good grades in them. I also have good lab grades- however... I am finding more and more that I truly hate going into lab each day. I don't think I can pinpoint why exactly that is- but lately my dislike of lab has increased exponentially. I am currently working for the stockroom on campus (which sets up/creates the chemicals necessary for labs) and once the primary excitement wore off I began to feel dissatisfied/displeased/dread.

It's gotten to the point that I've considered changing my major- I am considering changing to Geology. A lot of the requirements for the courses are similar, so my work won't be in vain, and I would definitely still opt for a minor in Chemistry. I have always loved and been interested in rocks, and as stupid and superficial, and as airheaded as that decision sounds, I think it might be something that interests me more. I understand that I wouldn't be getting away from lab completely, but I would at least get to see the sun and perhaps if I get the right job, even travel to some amazing places. ( I don't mind the writing either).

I used to care a lot about how much money I would make, but this semester and this job are really making me realize just what a chemistry degree would entail. I don't plan on getting a doctorate (at least not in Chem), and I've heard a little about an MBA- which is interesting, but I don't quite understand.

So I guess my questions are:
a- Does anyone have experience in Geology that can tell me of some careers perhaps related to geology and chemistry?
b- Or does anyone know honestly what the job market right now looks for geologists vs. chemists?
c- Or even does anyone know what an MBA is or an alternative to a lab-based career in chemistry?
d- how's the pay for either of these fields? Though I'm not particularly looking to get rich, I want to live comfortably-
e- Or, as a geologist, how much do you travel? (I have to ask ~ ).
f- does anyone have feedback about their experiences majoring in chem/geol?

I'M SORRY FOR THE ESSAY- but I would be indebted to anyone who has feedback.

I really, really appreciate if you took time to read this!
Thanks,
Emy

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Emy,

Thank you for reaching out to us for objective feedback. It is great that you are considering different options and seeking advice before making a decision on your major. I can offer some insights and suggestions based on my experience and knowledge in the field of chemistry and geology.

Firstly, it is important to understand that both chemistry and geology are fascinating and diverse fields with a wide range of career opportunities. Both require a strong foundation in scientific principles and critical thinking skills, which you seem to possess. It is also worth noting that both fields involve laboratory work, although the nature of the work may be different.

In terms of careers related to geology and chemistry, there are many possibilities. In the field of geology, you could work as a geochemist, exploring the chemical composition of rocks and minerals. You could also work as an environmental geologist, studying the impact of human activities on the environment and developing solutions to mitigate these impacts. In the field of chemistry, you could work as a perfumer, developing fragrances and cosmetics, or as a food chemist, working on the development and analysis of food products. These are just a few examples, and there are many other options available in both fields.

In terms of job market and pay, it is difficult to make a direct comparison between geology and chemistry as it depends on various factors such as location, industry, and job role. However, both fields have a strong demand for skilled professionals, and the job market is expected to grow in the coming years. As for pay, it varies depending on the job and experience, but both fields offer competitive salaries.

Regarding your question about an MBA, it stands for Master of Business Administration, and it is a degree that focuses on business management and leadership skills. It is not directly related to chemistry or geology, but it can open up career opportunities in various industries, including those related to these fields.

In terms of travel, both geologists and chemists may have opportunities to travel for fieldwork or conferences, but it depends on the specific job and company.

I cannot speak from personal experience about majoring in chemistry or geology as I am a scientist in a different field. However, I have colleagues who have majored in these fields, and they have shared positive experiences and career opportunities. Some have also pursued further education, such as a master's or a PhD, to advance their careers.

In conclusion

Likes bluetopaz777

Related to Working towards BS General Chemistry, having second thoughts x:

1. What are some common career options for someone with a BS in General Chemistry?

Some common career options for someone with a BS in General Chemistry include working as a chemist in a laboratory, pharmaceutical research and development, environmental testing, quality control, or teaching at the secondary or college level.

2. How difficult is it to obtain a BS in General Chemistry?

The difficulty of obtaining a BS in General Chemistry can vary depending on the individual's study habits and dedication to the subject. However, it is generally considered a challenging major that requires a strong understanding of math and science.

3. Is a BS in General Chemistry a good choice for someone who is unsure about their career path?

A BS in General Chemistry can lead to a variety of career paths, making it a good choice for someone who is unsure about their career path. The skills and knowledge gained from this degree can be applied to various industries, providing flexibility in career options.

4. What are some key skills gained from pursuing a BS in General Chemistry?

Some key skills gained from pursuing a BS in General Chemistry include critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, laboratory techniques, and strong mathematical and analytical skills. These skills are highly valued in many industries and can be applied to a variety of careers.

5. What are some potential downsides of pursuing a BS in General Chemistry?

Some potential downsides of pursuing a BS in General Chemistry include the challenging coursework, the need for strong math skills, and the competitive job market. It is important to have a passion for the subject and be willing to put in the effort to succeed in this field.