Working with X and P operators in QM

In summary, the conversation discusses the expectation value of an operator in the context of eigenstates of a particle in an infinite well. The conversation explores the use of symmetry arguments to determine the expectation value without explicitly evaluating any integrals. It also touches on the effects of changing the origin on the observable values.
razidan

Homework Statement

Consider the eigenstates of a particle in an infinite well with walls at ##x=\pm a##.
without explicitly evaluating any integrals, what is the expectation value of the following operator
$$\hat{x}^2\hat{p_x}^3+3\hat{x}\hat{p_x}^3\hat{x}+\hat{p_x}^3\hat{x}^2$$

Homework Equations

##1) \langle\hat{A}\rangle=\langle \varphi|\hat{A}|\varphi\rangle##
##2) [x,p_x]=i\hbar## (at least, I think it's relevant).

The Attempt at a Solution

I finished my QM course almost 4 years ago, and I'm now trying to get back at it, so I pretty much forgot everything, and I'm totally lost.
I tried plugging the operator into equation 1 but i think i missing some math identities... maybe properties of hermitian operators? not sure at all.
I would love some direction...

Thanks
R.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do the energy-eigenstate wavefunctions have any symmetry about x = 0?

TSny said:
Do the energy-eigenstate wavefunctions have any symmetry about x = 0?
The wave functions are the symmetric and antisymmetric solutions, if this is what you mean... but I am not sure how this helps me.
I thought the solution to the question is somewhat general, and that I don't need to look into the specifics of the wavefunction.

Suppose you have an operator ##\hat A## such that when it acts on an even function it converts it into an odd function; and when it acts on an odd function it converts it into an even function. For a state described by an even or odd function, what can you say about ##\langle\hat{A}\rangle##?

TSny said:
Suppose you have an operator ##\hat A## such that when it acts on an even function it converts it into an odd function; and when it acts on an odd function it converts it into an even function. For a state described by an even or odd function, what can you say about ##\langle\hat{A}\rangle##?
it will be zero.
So i see that ##\langle\hat{x}^n\rangle## or ##\langle\hat{p}^n\rangle## will be zero, if n is odd. but can I say something general about a combination of x and p?
##\hat{p}\hat{x}|\varphi\rangle## does not have defined parity anymore...

If ##\phi(x)## is an even function, then what is the parity of ##\hat x \phi(x)##? What is the parity of ##\hat p \hat x \phi(x)##?
Think of ##\hat p \hat x \phi(x)## as ## \hat p \left( \hat x \phi (x) \right) ##.

TSny said:
If ##\phi(x)## is an even function, then what is the parity of ##\hat x \phi(x)##? What is the parity of ##\hat p \hat x \phi(x)##?
Think of ##\hat p \hat x \phi(x)## as ## \hat p \left( \hat x \phi (x) \right) ##.
Ok, so after reading about it, I saw that the derivative of an even function is always odd, and vice versa.
But is this the only solution? the play on parity? I see that is one way to prove it, but it seems a little... meh.
I thought the solution was going to be more work with the commutator, and then seeing how terms cancel out... but i guess you can't get everything you want...

Thanks for the help!

The parity approach is just the way I happened to think about it. Maybe whoever wrote the problem wants you to do it some other way. But, I think you can check that you would get very different results for the expectation value of the operator for the energy eigenstates of a well that extends from x = 0 to x = a instead of x = -a/2 to x = a/2.

Likes PeroK
razidan said:
But is this the only solution? the play on parity? I see that is one way to prove it, but it seems a little... meh.
Don't underestimate the power of using symmetries! There are many results that can be obtained just from symmetry arguments that can save you a lot of time.

TSny said:
The parity approach is just the way I happened to think about it. Maybe whoever wrote the problem wants you to do it some other way. But, I think you can check that you would get very different results for the expectation value of the operator for the energy eigenstates of a well that extends from x = 0 to x = a instead of x = -a/2 to x = a/2.
what do you mean? won't it be just that ##\langle \hat{x} \rangle = a/2##?
a change of origin is arbitrary...

razidan said:
what do you mean? won't it be just that ##\langle \hat{x} \rangle = a/2##?
a change of origin is arbitrary...
Your operator includes the momentum operator, so you need to be careful with that assumption.

PeroK said:
Your operator includes the momentum operator, so you need to be careful with that assumption.
Oh, of course, i just meant ##\langle \hat{x} \rangle##, but thinking about it, i have two questions:
1) Is there a way to see what the average value for this operator without doing the calculation?
2) an average value is an observable, so it must have some connection to the zero value we get when the well is from -a/2 to a/2. doesn't it?
how is it that an observable is dependent on the origin?
(I mean, i can think of the example above, where the change of the origin changed the value of ##\langle \hat{x} \rangle##, but that was just shift of a/2, directly because we shifted the origin)
I hope my question is clear.

razidan said:
Oh, of course, i just meant ##\langle \hat{x} \rangle##, but thinking about it, i have two questions:
1) Is there a way to see what the average value for this operator without doing the calculation?
2) an average value is an observable, so it must have some connection to the zero value we get when the well is from -a/2 to a/2. doesn't it?
how is it that an observable is dependent on the origin?
(I mean, i can think of the example above, where the change of the origin changed the value of ##\langle \hat{x} \rangle##, but that was just shift of a/2, directly because we shifted the origin)
I hope my question is clear.

Take a simple example. Let's say a measurement of position was ##0## and a measurement of momentum was ##p##. The product of the two is ##0##.

If you change the origin, the measurements become ##a/2## and ##p## and the product is ##ap/2##.

Also, note that another fundamental problem with your argument is that you are not taking dimensions (mass, length, time) into account.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
Take a simple example. Let's say a measurement of position was ##0## and a measurement of momentum was ##p##. The product of the two is ##0##.

If you change the origin, the measurements become ##a/2## and ##p## and the product is ##ap/2##.

Also, note that another fundamental problem with your argument is that you are not taking dimensions (mass, length, time) into account.
I understand the example, but my question is more fundamental, WHY does a change of origin affect an observable?

razidan said:
I understand the example, but my question is more fundamental, WHY does a change of origin affect an observable?
It doesn't, except that you get different numerical values.
In fact, this whole question ought to be turned round. You should be justifying your assertion, rather than make an unsubstantiated assertion and ask why it isn't true.

Related to Working with X and P operators in QM

1. How do X and P operators work in quantum mechanics?

The X and P operators, also known as position and momentum operators, are used in quantum mechanics to represent the position and momentum of a particle. These operators are used to perform calculations and make predictions about the behavior of particles on a quantum scale. The X operator measures the position of a particle, while the P operator measures its momentum.

2. What is the commutation relationship between X and P operators?

The commutation relationship between X and P operators is given by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the product of the uncertainties in position and momentum must always be greater than or equal to the reduced Planck constant (h/2π). In other words, the more accurately we know the position of a particle, the less accurately we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

3. How do X and P operators affect the wave function?

The X and P operators act on the wave function of a particle to determine its position and momentum in a given state. The X operator multiplies the wave function by the position of the particle, while the P operator takes the derivative of the wave function with respect to position to determine the momentum of the particle.

4. What is the significance of the eigenvalues of X and P operators?

The eigenvalues of X and P operators represent the possible outcomes of measuring the position and momentum of a particle. These values are discrete and correspond to the allowed energy levels of the particle. The eigenvalues of the X operator are the possible positions of the particle, while the eigenvalues of the P operator are the possible momenta.

5. How are X and P operators used in quantum systems?

X and P operators are used to describe and analyze the behavior of quantum systems, such as atoms and subatomic particles. They are used to calculate the energy levels and probabilities of different outcomes in a given state. X and P operators are also used in the Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics.