Would I be annoying my LOR writers?

• Thread starter creepypasta13
  • Start date
In summary: Well I don't expect to get the best LORs from my profs. Probably just slightly above average at best.Don't worry about your Profs getting annoyed. I think it is more important to get the LORs from them before the deadline. If they have written good LORs for you in the past, then they are likely to give good ones this time too.
creepypasta13
So my writers were able to write me LORs for a grad program that had a deadline on 12/1. Last week, I submitted applications to about 6 programs, most of which had deadlines in mid-December. I sent them each 2 emails to tell them when the deadlines were. So far, I've told them I plan on applying to physics and applied math programs. But that's in large part because I didn't take the math subject GRE. But I found one pure math dept that told me I'll still be competitive without it, but their deadline is in just 9 days from now. They haven't submitted the LORs for those other programs yet (I checked the online status for each school) Even though they've all written LORs for me before, if I asked them to write a letter for this program, will they get annoyed?

Physics news on Phys.org
creepypasta13 said:
Even though they've all written LORs for me before, if I asked them to write a letter for this program, will they get annoyed?

Probably, but they might do it anyway if they like you enough. The quality may not be totally awesome though. Also, some applications have grace periods for the recommendation letters, so you may want to check if this is one of them.

story645 said:
Probably, but they might do it anyway if they like you enough. The quality may not be totally awesome though. Also, some applications have grace periods for the recommendation letters, so you may want to check if this is one of them.

well I don't expect to get the best LORs from my profs. Probably just slightly above average at best.

Don't worry about your Profs getting annoyed. I think it is more important to get the LORs from them before the deadline. If they have written good LORs for you in the past, then they are likely to give good ones this time too.

It is possible that your LOR writers may feel a bit overwhelmed with the number of programs you have applied to and the short timeline for some of them. However, as a scientist, it is important to remember that your LOR writers have agreed to support you in your academic pursuits and are likely willing to write additional letters for you. It is always best to communicate openly and honestly with your LOR writers and let them know about any last-minute changes or additions to your application. They may appreciate the heads up and be more understanding of the situation. Ultimately, it is important to trust in your LOR writers' support and not worry too much about potentially annoying them. Focus on putting your best foot forward in your applications and let your LOR writers handle the rest.

FAQ: Would I be annoying my LOR writers?

1. Would it be considered annoying if I ask my LOR writer for multiple letters?

It depends on the specific situation and the relationship you have with your LOR writer. If the writer is willing and able to provide multiple letters, then it may not be considered annoying. However, if the writer is busy or has already provided a letter, it may be best to respect their time and not ask for multiple letters.

2. Is it okay to remind my LOR writer about the deadline?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to send a polite reminder to your LOR writer about the deadline. Just be sure to do so in a respectful and timely manner, and thank them for their time and effort.

3. How often should I communicate with my LOR writer during the letter writing process?

It is generally recommended to have open communication with your LOR writer throughout the letter writing process. This may include providing updates on your application status and politely asking for a progress update on the letter. However, be mindful of not over-communicating and respecting their time and availability.

4. Is it appropriate to ask my LOR writer to highlight specific qualities or experiences in the letter?

Yes, it is appropriate to communicate with your LOR writer about specific qualities or experiences you would like them to highlight in the letter. This can help ensure that the letter is tailored to your specific strengths and goals. However, be sure to do so in a polite and respectful manner.

5. How can I show my appreciation for my LOR writer without seeming annoying?

There are many ways to show your appreciation for your LOR writer without being annoying. You can send a thank-you note or small gift, provide updates on your application process, and keep them informed on your future endeavors. Just be genuine and respectful in your interactions.