Would Increasing the Mass of Metal Reduce Errors in Specific Heat Calculations?

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab involving heating a metal sample and finding its specific heat. The student had high percent errors for aluminum and tin and wonders if using more of the metal or a larger mass would improve the results. The equations used were Q=mc(delta t) and the solution may depend on the source of errors, some of which may be affected by the mass of metal used.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

I had a lab where we put 50 grams of a metal smaple into a little bowl and then heated it with steam from a big beaker thing. Anyway, my question is about the errors I got in this lab when finding the specific heat of the metal. I had some high percent errors for Aluminum and Tin. Would my results improve if I used more of the metal? A larger mass of the metal?

Homework Equations

Q=mc(delta t)

The Attempt at a Solution

Have not attempted this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the source of errors.

Can you list them and think, which of them can depend on the mass of metal used?

Related to Would Increasing the Mass of Metal Reduce Errors in Specific Heat Calculations?

What is the purpose of the Specific Heat of Metal Lab?

The purpose of this lab is to determine the specific heat capacity of a metal sample by measuring its temperature change when it is heated and cooled.

What materials are needed for this lab?

The materials needed for this lab include a metal sample, a calorimeter, a thermometer, a heat source, and a balance.

How is the specific heat capacity of a metal calculated in this lab?

The specific heat capacity of a metal is calculated by using the formula q = m x c x ΔT, where q is the heat gained or lost by the metal, m is the mass of the metal, c is the specific heat capacity of the metal, and ΔT is the change in temperature of the metal.

Why is it important to know the specific heat capacity of a metal?

The specific heat capacity of a metal is important because it helps us understand how much heat energy is required or released when the metal is heated or cooled. This information is useful in various fields such as engineering, metallurgy, and thermodynamics.

How can the results of this lab be used in real-world applications?

The results of this lab can be used in real-world applications such as designing and optimizing heating and cooling systems, determining the efficiency of industrial processes, and understanding the thermal properties of different metals used in construction and manufacturing.