Would it be possible to hold electrified liquids in the air?

In summary: And even then, the water droplet would need to be very small and the magnetic field would have to be very precisely controlled. But there have been experiments with levitating water droplets using magnetic fields, so it is possible in theory. In summary, there have been experiments with levitating water droplets using magnetic fields, but it requires extremely high magnetic fields and precise control. Frogs have also been used for levitation experiments, as they have a high water content which makes them a good diamagnetic material. However, using magnetic fields to hold up larger volumes of water has not been extensively explored.
jollage
Hi,

Would it be possible to hold electrified liquids in the air? There is an external electric field applied to the liquids. What kind of liquid must it be? I guess water wouldn't do the job.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is an electrified liquid?

Bystander said:
What is an electrified liquid?
I was thinking something like molted iron or metal, that's also my question, I'm not sure what it could be. I want to know whether the liquid could be held up only by the magnetic field or electric field.

You might want to hunt down the "Milliken Oil Drop Experiment." Magnetic levitation using attractive and repulsive effects has been applied in a variety of apparatus, "spinning rotor gauges" for vacuum systems. For liquids? Frogs levitating in high magnetic fields are a popular gimmick in laboratory public relations, and are arguably liquid.

Bystander said:
You might want to hunt down the "Milliken Oil Drop Experiment." Magnetic levitation using attractive and repulsive effects has been applied in a variety of apparatus, "spinning rotor gauges" for vacuum systems. For liquids? Frogs levitating in high magnetic fields are a popular gimmick in laboratory public relations, and are arguably liquid.
Thank you Bystander. These seem very interesting. I checked quickly the levitating frog, I read "...Frogs are convenient (for the experiments) not only because they have a high water content, which is a good diamagnetic material...", so it seems convinced that if one applies a strong enough magnetic field to some volume of water, the water could be held in the air, is it right? But no one has done this kind of experiments? I am picturing in mind some volume of water held in the air by the magnetic field, and then (by turning off the magnetic field) falls down.

Should be able to levitate a water droplet and depend upon surface tension to hold the droplet together. Frogs appear to be more fun for public relations purposes.

jollage said:
But no one has done this kind of experiments?

Of course they have. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_levitation#Diamagnetic_levitation

jollage said:
I am picturing in mind some volume of water held in the air by the magnetic field, and then (by turning off the magnetic field) falls down.

It's possible. The problem is that you need extremely high magnetic fields, something like 10-15 teslas or more.

FAQ: Would it be possible to hold electrified liquids in the air?

1. Can liquids be held in the air without a container?

No, liquids require a container to hold their shape and maintain their physical properties. Without a container, they will disperse into the surrounding environment.

2. Is it possible to electrify a liquid?

Yes, it is possible to electrify a liquid by passing an electric current through it. This can be achieved by using an electrically conductive material, such as metal electrodes, to create a circuit within the liquid.

3. How can electrified liquids be held in the air?

Electrified liquids can be held in the air using a process called electrostatic levitation. This involves using electric fields to suspend the liquid droplets in mid-air, without the need for a physical container.

4. Are there any real-world applications for holding electrified liquids in the air?

Yes, electrostatic levitation of liquids has been used in various scientific experiments to study the properties of liquids under extreme conditions, such as high temperatures or in the absence of gravity. It has also been used in the development of new materials and for creating 3D structures.

5. What are the potential risks of holding electrified liquids in the air?

The main risk associated with holding electrified liquids in the air is the potential for electric shock. It is important to take proper safety precautions and follow established protocols when handling and working with electrified liquids. Additionally, there may be a risk of the liquid dispersing into the surrounding environment if the electric fields are not properly controlled.