Would it hurt if you got your eyelashes cut off

• Thread starter NeedBioInfo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cut
In summary: I could just get them cut off.In summary, getting your eyelashes cut off or separated from you in some way would not be painful, but it would be inconvenient and you would likely experience more irritation if you removed them.
NeedBioInfo
Hey would it hurt if you got your eyelashes cut off or separated from you in some other way? They're just like any other hair, so it wouldn't hurt if they were cut off/separated from you right?

Biology news on Phys.org
Actually, eyelashes fall out all the time. They are hair- basically dead skin cells- there are no nerves in eyelashes.

NeedBioInfo said:
Hey would it hurt if you got your eyelashes cut off or separated from you in some other way? They're just like any other hair, so it wouldn't hurt if they were cut off/separated from you right?

Well, you could cut them down to the base and when it's that short if per say your rubbed your eye the base would push in your skin, causing some minor discomfort. Think when you shave and the stubble is coming back it will itch and put some pain on you if pushed in.

Then there is the growing back part, as it regenerates it's going to get irritable for a area generally untouched. :)

How could you safely remove eyelashes though?

I mean they're pretty close to your eyes

Why would you want to remove eyelashes? They do have a function to help catch debris before it gets into your eyes. Like any hair though, cutting them would not be in any way painful, but plucking would (and the following irritation would probably be much worse on a tender bit of skin like the eyelid). I wouldn't recommend it though, as you wouldn't want to chance getting sharp enough to cut them that close to your eyes.

Well I was thinking that...

I feel like I can't always completely control the hair on my body...

Then I thought I could just get rid of all the hair on my body, and get rid of the need to control it/stress, without any consequences but I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive/have anxiety so I went as far as to start thinking about eyelashes, since eyelashes are hair

Last edited:

Related to Would it hurt if you got your eyelashes cut off

1. What would happen if I got my eyelashes cut off?

Getting your eyelashes cut off can cause temporary discomfort and irritation, as well as a change in appearance. However, the lashes will grow back over time.

2. Is it safe to cut your eyelashes?

It is generally safe to trim your eyelashes, as long as you are using clean and sharp scissors. However, it is important to be careful and not cut too close to the eyelid to avoid injury.

3. Will cutting my eyelashes make them grow back thicker?

No, cutting your eyelashes will not make them grow back thicker. The thickness and length of your eyelashes are determined by genetics and hormones, not by cutting them.

4. Can cutting my eyelashes affect my vision?

No, cutting your eyelashes should not affect your vision. However, if the hairs are cut too short, they may not be able to protect your eyes from dust and debris as well.

5. How often should I cut my eyelashes?

It is not necessary to regularly cut your eyelashes. They have a natural growth cycle and will fall out and grow back on their own. Trimming them once every few months may help prevent them from becoming too long and potentially irritating your eyes.