Write Atomic Symbols in MS Word: Super/Sub Scripts?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to write atomic symbols and if it is possible to use sub and super script at the same time in Microsoft Word. It is suggested to import images or use the Microsoft Equation Editor to properly display the symbols.
Karen
I am trying to complete some chem homework in microsoft word, but I need to write the atomic symbols. Is there any way I can write the mass number over the atomic number. Can I use sub and super script at the same time in the same place?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if you can do it in terms of basic text in Word but you could import some images.

You can copy/paste them from here (Not sure if it will work though because of the anti-aliasing)--Although I don't think PF has any problem with you copying/pasting images, please don't hotlink the image onto another website.

[tex]^{14}_{6}C[/tex]

Or if you want to remove the italics:

[tex]^{14}_{6}\textrm{C}[/tex]

Edit: I just tried it and for some reason Word inverts the colors.

Last edited:
Microsoft equation editor ought to do the job for you.

Tools-> insert -> Microsoft Equation editor 3

Integral said:
Microsoft equation editor ought to do the job for you.

Tools-> insert -> Microsoft Equation editor 3
Wow I never even knew that existed.

By the way, I guess tools/insert is for Word XP. For 2000, it's Insert/Object/[Create New]-Microsoft Equation Editor 3.0

FAQ: Write Atomic Symbols in MS Word: Super/Sub Scripts?

1. How do I write atomic symbols in MS Word using super/sub scripts?

To write atomic symbols in MS Word using super/sub scripts, first type in the element symbol (e.g. H for Hydrogen). Then, highlight the symbol and go to the "Font" section in the Home tab. Click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner to open the "Font" window. Under the "Effects" section, check the box next to "Superscript" or "Subscript" to make the symbol appear as a superscript or subscript, respectively.

2. Can I use keyboard shortcuts to write atomic symbols as super/sub scripts in MS Word?

Yes, you can use keyboard shortcuts to write atomic symbols as super/sub scripts in MS Word. For superscripts, type in the element symbol and then press "Ctrl" and "+". For subscripts, type in the element symbol and then press "Ctrl" and "=".

3. How do I change the size of the atomic symbols when using super/sub scripts in MS Word?

You can change the size of the atomic symbols when using super/sub scripts in MS Word by highlighting the symbol, going to the "Font" section in the Home tab, and changing the font size. Alternatively, you can use the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl" and "Shift" and the "+" or "=" keys to increase or decrease the font size, respectively.

4. Can I use super/sub scripts for atomic symbols in equations or chemical formulas in MS Word?

Yes, you can use super/sub scripts for atomic symbols in equations or chemical formulas in MS Word. Simply follow the same steps as mentioned above to write the atomic symbols in super/sub scripts. You can also use the keyboard shortcuts to quickly switch between normal and super/sub scripts while typing.

5. Are there any limitations to using super/sub scripts for atomic symbols in MS Word?

There are a few limitations to using super/sub scripts for atomic symbols in MS Word. First, the superscript and subscript sizes may not be adjustable beyond a certain limit and may not be suitable for very small or large symbols. Additionally, some special characters or symbols may not be available in the super/sub script form in MS Word. Finally, the use of super/sub scripts may not be compatible with all fonts, so it is important to check the appearance of the symbols before finalizing a document.