How Do You Write the Balanced Reaction Equation for an Iron-Nickel Cell?

• Thread starter crosbykins
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, an iron-nickel cell with a salt bridge was described, in which a half-cell with iron in a 1mol/L Fe2+ solution is joined to a half-cell with nickel in a 1mol/L Ni2+ solution. The task is to calculate Ke for the reaction using the equation ∆E = ∆E⁰ - .0592V/n log Q. The solution involves finding the value of n (the moles of electrons transferred) by writing a balanced reaction equation.
crosbykins

Homework Statement

An iron-nickel cell uses a salt bridge to join a half-cell containing a strip of iron in a 1mol/L solution of Fe2+ to a half cell which contains a strip of nickel in a 1mol/L Ni2+ solution. Calculate Ke for the reaction.

Homework Equations

∆E = ∆E⁰ - .0592V/n log Q

The Attempt at a Solution

so using ∆E⁰= ∆E⁰r (cathode) - ∆E⁰r (anode), I know that ∆E⁰= .66V, and I also know that at equilibrium ther is 0V, so ∆E =0. I know that Q is = to Ke, so i need to solve for Q. Problem is I don't know how to find the value of n (the amount, in moles, of electrons transferred according to the cell reaction)

Physics news on Phys.org

Have you tried the simplest approach - write balanced reaction equation?

Related to How Do You Write the Balanced Reaction Equation for an Iron-Nickel Cell?

What is a balanced reaction equation?

A balanced reaction equation is a chemical equation that shows the reactants and products of a chemical reaction, and the number and types of atoms involved in the reaction are equal on both sides.

Why is it important to write a balanced reaction equation?

It is important to write a balanced reaction equation because it accurately represents the reactants and products involved in a chemical reaction and follows the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction.

How do you balance a reaction equation?

A reaction equation can be balanced by adjusting the coefficients (numbers in front of the chemical formulas) until the number and types of atoms are equal on both sides of the equation.

What information is needed to write a balanced reaction equation?

To write a balanced reaction equation, you need to know the chemical formulas of the reactants and products, the physical states of the substances (solid, liquid, gas, or aqueous), and the correct coefficients needed to balance the equation.

What are some common mistakes when writing a balanced reaction equation?

Some common mistakes when writing a balanced reaction equation include forgetting to include physical states, not balancing the number of atoms on each side of the equation, and using incorrect coefficients. It is also important to check that the charges are balanced for any ions involved in the reaction.