Write down an equation & solve for x

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathlearn
  • Start date
In summary: So, it seems no extra Rupees need to be deposited the final 4 days, since the slope is 2. So, the original AP I used was:D(n)=2n+3, n=1,2,\ldots,26And as you can see, for $n=27,28,29,30$ we have:D(27)=57D(28)=59D(29)=61D(30)=63And indeed:S_{30}=30(33)=990So, the final 1100 will be reached at D(30)=63, no?In summary, a person starts saving money by depositing 5 coins in his till on the
mathlearn
Problem

A person starts saving money by depositing 5 coins in his till on the first day. After that , every day , he deposits 2 more than the amount she deposited in the till on the previous day

In order that the amount of money in the till at the end of 30 th day is 1100 coins, He deposits , from the 27th day $x$ rupees more than the amount deposited on the previous day.

Where do I need help

Write down an equation in $x$ and find the value of $x$ by solving it

Many Thanks :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let's begin by letting $D(n)$ be the amount deposited on the $n$th day. Now, we are told this amount increases linearly, and that $D(1)=5$. You are given the slope of this linear relationship, and you are given a point on that line...can you now use the point-slope formula to determine $D(n)$?

MarkFL said:
Let's begin by letting $D(n)$ be the amount deposited on the $n$th day. Now, we are told this amount increases linearly, and that $D(1)=5$. You are given the slope of this linear relationship, and you are given a point on that line...can you now use the point-slope formula to determine $D(n)$?

My Apologies I don't know how:)

Well, let's begin with the slope:

\(\displaystyle m=\frac{\Delta D}{\Delta n}=\frac{D(n+1)-D(n)}{(n+1)-n}=\frac{(D(n)+2)-D(n)}{(n+1)-n}=\frac{2}{1}=2\)

We could have simply observed that for each increase in the number of days by one day, the amount deposited increases by 2, but I wanted to show you the method when it's not as obvious.

Okay, we have a slope of 2 and the point $(n,D)=(1,5)$ and the point-slope formula then gives us:

\(\displaystyle D(n)-5=2(n-1)\implies D(n)=2n+3\)

So, now, we need to sum up the deposits for the first $n$ days to find out what the total is after those $n$ days.

\(\displaystyle S_{n}=\sum_{k=1}^{n}\left(2k+3\right)\)

We will need the following summation formulas:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}(a\cdot f(k))=a\cdot\sum_{k=1}^{n}(f(k))\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}(f(k)\pm g(k))=\sum_{k=1}^{n}(f(k))\pm\sum_{k=1}^{n}(g(k))\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}(1)=n\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}(k)=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}\)

Now we may write:

\(\displaystyle S_{n}=2\sum_{k=1}^{n}\left(k\right)+3\sum_{k=1}^{n}(1)\)

Can you now apply the formulas above to write $S_{n}$ as a function of $n$?

You've indicate by PM a desire to use the formula for the sum of an AP:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\frac{n}{2}\left(2a_1+(n-1)d\right)\)

With $a_1=5$ and $d=2$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\frac{n}{2}\left(2\cdot5+2(n-1)\right)=n(5+n-1)=n(n+4)\)

Had we continued with the method I was using, we would find:

\(\displaystyle S_n=2\cdot\frac{n(n+1)}{2}+3n=n^2+n+3n=n^2+4n=n(n+4)\)

Okay, next we need to find $S_{27}$ so that we know how much was deposited after 27 days:

\(\displaystyle S_{27}=27(27+4)=27\cdot31=837\)

This means over the next 3 days, there needs to be $1100-837=263$ Rupees deposited. So, using the AP formula you cited, we have:

\(\displaystyle a_1=D(27)+x=2(27)+3+x=57+x\)

\(\displaystyle d=x\)

\(\displaystyle n=3\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle S_3=\frac{3}{2}\left(2(x+57)+(3-1)x\right)=263\)

Can you now solve for $x$?

MarkFL said:
You've indicate by PM a desire to use the formula for the sum of an AP:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\frac{n}{2}\left(2a_1+(n-1)d\right)\)

With $a_1=5$ and $d=2$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\frac{n}{2}\left(2\cdot5+2(n-1)\right)=n(5+n-1)=n(n+4)\)

Had we continued with the method I was using, we would find:

\(\displaystyle S_n=2\cdot\frac{n(n+1)}{2}+3n=n^2+n+3n=n^2+4n=n(n+4)\)

Okay, next we need to find $S_{27}$ so that we know how much was deposited after 27 days:

\(\displaystyle S_{27}=27(27+4)=27\cdot31=837\)

This means over the next 3 days, there needs to be $1100-837=263$ Rupees deposited. So, using the AP formula you cited, we have:

\(\displaystyle a_1=D(27)+x=2(27)+3+x=57+x\)

\(\displaystyle d=x\)

\(\displaystyle n=3\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle S_3=\frac{3}{2}\left(2(x+57)+(3-1)x\right)=263\)

Can you now solve for $x$?

Thank you very much :)

\(\displaystyle S_3=\frac{3}{2}\left(2x+114+3x-x\right)=263\)
\(\displaystyle S_3=\frac{3}{2}\left(4x+114 \right)=263\)
\(\displaystyle S_3=3 \left(4x+114 \right)=526\)
\(\displaystyle S_3= \left(12x+342\right)=526\)
\(\displaystyle S_3= 12x = 184\)
\(\displaystyle S_3= x = 15.3\)

Correct? :)

Many Thanks :)

I get:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{46}{3}=15.\overline{3}\)

I was expecting an integral answer. I now see I misread the problem...what we want is 26 days first:

\(\displaystyle S_{26}=780\)

\(\displaystyle 1100-780=220\)

\(\displaystyle a_1=D(26)+x=2(26)+3+x=55+x\)

And then:

\(\displaystyle S_4=\frac{4}{2}\left(2(x+55)+(4-1)x\right)=220\)

\(\displaystyle 2(2(x+55)+3x)=220\)

\(\displaystyle 2(2x+110+3x)=220\)

\(\displaystyle 2(5x+110)=220\)

\(\displaystyle 10(x+22)=220\)

\(\displaystyle x+22=22\)

\(\displaystyle x=0\)

FAQ: Write down an equation & solve for x

1. What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities. It typically includes variables, numbers, and mathematical operations.

2. How do I write an equation?

To write an equation, you must first identify the variables and their corresponding quantities. Then, use mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to express the relationship between these quantities.

3. What is x in an equation?

In an equation, x is typically used to represent the unknown quantity or variable that you are trying to find. It can also represent a variable that can take on different values.

4. How do I solve for x in an equation?

To solve for x, you must isolate it on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means that if x is being multiplied by a number, you must divide both sides of the equation by that number to cancel it out. Repeat this process until x is the only remaining variable on one side of the equation.

5. Can I solve an equation without using x?

Yes, you can solve an equation without using x. You can use any letter or symbol to represent the unknown quantity or variable. The process for solving the equation remains the same, regardless of what variable you use.