Write down the reactions in which ClO2 is created

• Thread starter Ondina
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactions
In summary, the reactions in which ClO2 is created from KClO3 and H2SO4 include KClO3 + H2C2O4 + H2SO4 = ClO2 + CO2 + K2SO4 + H2O, H2C2O4 + 2 KClO3 = K2CO3 + CO2 + 2 ClO2 + H2O, H2SO4 + KClO3 --> K2SO4 + ClO2 + H2O, and 3 KCLO3 + 3 H2SO4 = 3 KHSO4 + HCLO4 + 2 CLO2 + H2O. These reactions involve
Ondina

Homework Statement

Write down the reactions in which ClO2 is created from KClO3 and H2SO4

Homework Equations

KClO3 + H2C2O4 + H2SO4 = ClO2 + CO2 + K2SO4 + H2O

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted and have written down several reacions, or. attempted to, but the part that I find problematic is, that the problem states, that you should write down reactions, as in plural, and that confuses me greatly, so I was hoping that someone might have a solution or me
KClO3 + H2C2O4 + H2SO4 = ClO2 + CO2 + K2SO4 + H2O
or maybe
H2C2O4 + 2 KClO3 = K2CO3 + CO2 + 2 ClO2 + H2O
or
H2SO4 + KClO3 --> K2SO4 + ClO2 + H2O

Physics news on Phys.org
Strange question and I have no idea what it really asks for.

You need some redox process here, as chlorine in ClO2 and KClO3 have different oxidation states. You can either reduce KClO3 (in which case it is not "just KClO3 and H2SO4", as you need an additional reducing agent - like oxalic acid), or you can look for disproportionation (that is, KClO3 reacts with itself producing both ClO2 and some product with more oxidized chlorine - say, potassium perchlorate). No idea if the latter reaction is at all possible.

Maybe they just want you to balance it? Sometimes the answers that seem most difficult are just from poor instruction. It wouldn't hurt to anyways.

3 KCLO3 + 3 H2SO4 = 3 KHSO4 + HCLO4 + 2 CLO2 + H2O

Related to Write down the reactions in which ClO2 is created

1. How is ClO2 created in reactions?

ClO2 is created in reactions through the oxidation of chlorine dioxide or by reacting sodium chlorite with hydrochloric acid.

2. What are the common reactants used to create ClO2?

The common reactants used to create ClO2 are chlorine dioxide, sodium chlorite, and hydrochloric acid.

3. What are the products of reactions in which ClO2 is created?

The products of reactions in which ClO2 is created are chlorine dioxide gas and water.

4. Can ClO2 be created in a laboratory or is it only produced in industrial processes?

ClO2 can be created in a laboratory through controlled reactions, but it is also produced in industrial processes for various purposes such as water treatment and pulp bleaching.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when creating ClO2 in reactions?

Yes, there are safety precautions to consider when creating ClO2 in reactions. ClO2 is a toxic gas and should be handled with caution. Proper ventilation and protective equipment should be used to prevent exposure.