Write File in Fortran: Tips & Tricks

• Fortran
  • Thread starter luonganh89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File Fortran
In summary, to write a file in Fortran, you can use the OPEN, WRITE, and CLOSE statements. Some tips for writing efficient and optimized files include using the ACCESS, FORM, and RECORDLENGTH options, as well as properly allocating and deallocating arrays. To read data from a file, you can use the OPEN, READ, and CLOSE statements, and the INQUIRE statement to get file information. You can write files in Fortran on different operating systems as long as you follow the proper formatting and conventions. To handle errors when writing files, you can use the ERR and IERR options in the OPEN statement, the IOSTAT parameter in the READ and WRITE statements, and the STATUS parameter in the INQUIRE statement.
luonganh89
Hi all
I want to write data to file after each loop in fortran. Have you some experience ?

Technology news on Phys.org
luonganh89 said:
Hi all
I want to write data to file after each loop in fortran. Have you some experience ?
Yes, I have some experience.

Show us what you have tried.

Related to Write File in Fortran: Tips & Tricks

1. How do I write a file in Fortran?

To write a file in Fortran, you can use the OPEN statement to open a connection to the file, followed by the WRITE statement to write data to the file, and finally the CLOSE statement to close the connection. You can also specify the file format and other settings in the OPEN statement, such as the access mode and file name.

2. What are some tips for writing efficient and optimized files in Fortran?

Some tips for writing efficient and optimized files in Fortran include using the ACCESS = 'DIRECT' option in the OPEN statement for faster access to large files, using the FORM = 'UNFORMATTED' option for faster writing and reading of binary data, and using the RECORDLENGTH option to control the size of the records in a file. It is also important to properly allocate and deallocate arrays to avoid memory leaks.

3. How can I read data from a file using Fortran?

To read data from a file in Fortran, you can use the OPEN statement to open a connection to the file, followed by the READ statement to read data from the file, and finally the CLOSE statement to close the connection. You can also specify the file format and other settings in the OPEN statement, such as the access mode and file name. Additionally, you can use the INQUIRE statement to get information about the file, such as the number of records or the record length.

4. Can I write files in Fortran on different operating systems?

Yes, you can write files in Fortran on different operating systems as long as you follow the proper formatting and conventions for each system. For example, you may need to use different file extensions or specify different file access modes depending on the operating system. It is important to check the documentation for your specific Fortran compiler to ensure compatibility with different systems.

5. How can I handle errors when writing files in Fortran?

You can use the ERR and IERR options in the OPEN statement to specify what action should be taken if an error occurs when writing to the file. You can also use the IOSTAT parameter in the READ and WRITE statements to check for and handle errors when reading or writing data. Additionally, you can use the STATUS parameter in the INQUIRE statement to check the status of the file after it has been written.