Write sin in terms of Hermite polynomials

In summary: H_{2n+1}(x)}{(2n+1)!}(i\frac{a}{2})^{2n+1}####sin(2kx)=\frac{1}{e^{k^2}}\sum _{n=0}^{\infty }(-1)^n\frac{H_{2n+1}(x)}{(2n+1)!}\frac{a^{2n+1}}{2^{2n+1}}####sin(2kx)=
skrat

Homework Statement

Write ##sin(ax)## for ##a \in \mathbb{R}##. (Use generating function for appropriate ##z##)

Homework Equations

##e^{2xz-z^2}=\sum _{n=0}^{\infty }\frac{H_n(x)}{n!}z^n##

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea what to do.

My idea was that since ##sin(ax)=\frac{1}{2i}(e^{iax}-e^{-iax})## I tried to calculate ##z## from ##e^{iax}=e^{2xz-z^2}## but I doubt this method really works.

Could somebody give me a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
skrat said:

Homework Statement

Write ##sin(ax)## for ##a \in \mathbb{R}##. (Use generating function for appropriate ##z##)

Homework Equations

##e^{2xz-z^2}=\sum _{n=0}^{\infty }\frac{H_n(x)}{n!}z^n##

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea what to do.

My idea was that since ##sin(ax)=\frac{1}{2i}(e^{iax}-e^{-iax})## I tried to calculate ##z## from ##e^{iax}=e^{2xz-z^2}## but I doubt this method really works.

Could somebody give me a hint?

Hint: Consider [itex]z = ik[/itex] for some strictly positive [itex]k[/itex].

I don't see how this would be any different to my idea?

##e^{iax}=e^{2xz-z^2}##

##iax=2xz-z^2## Now this part is already confusing since this should be true for ALL x or in other words ##z\neq z(x)##. The same if I set ##z=ik##.

If I ignore that, than this is of course quadratic equation for z:

##z_{1,2}=x\pm \sqrt{x^2-iax}## and also a very similar solutions for ##k## if ##z=ik##.

I don't think that ##z## is meant to be a function of anything? Or am I wrong here?

Why don't you actually try what pasmith suggested? Don't make assumptions based on how you think it's supposed to work out. Just set z=ik and work out what the lefthand side equals.

I try to not make a fool out of myself so don't be offended but I did consider his hint before replying.

Anyhow, ##2xz-z^2=2xik+k^2=iax## which, like I already mentioned, is quadratic equation for ##k##.

##k_{1,2}=-ix\pm \sqrt{iax-x^2}##

Oh, okay, now I see what you were trying.

Why are you solving for ##k##? What would that buy you? Again, I'll suggest you work out what the lefthand side works out to, not just the exponent.

Because I was looking for ##z##.

Hmm, let's try it ##e^{2xik+k^2}=e^{2xik}e^{k^2}=e^{k^2}(cos(2kx)+isin(2kx))##

Does this mean that ##k=\frac{a}{2}##? How do I continue from here?

I think I got it:

for ##z=ik## the exponent ##e^{2xik+k^2}=e^{k^2}(cos(2kx)+isin(2kx)##

for ##z=-ik## the exponent ##e^{-2xik+k^2}=e^{k^2}(cos(2kx)-isin(2kx)##

No simply the difference between the equations above:

##e^{2xik+k^2}-e^{-2xik+k^2}=2ie^{k^2}sin(2kx)##

##sin(2kx)=\frac{1}{2ie^{k^2}}(e^{2xik+k^2}-e^{-2xik+k^2})## now note that ##z_1=ik## and ##z_2=-ik##

##sin(2kx)=\frac{1}{2ie^{k^2}}(e^{2xz_1-z_1^2}-e^{2xz_2-z_2^2})##

##sin(2kx)=\frac{1}{2ie^{k^2}}\sum _{n=0}^{\infty }\frac{H_n(x)}{n!}(ik)^n[1-(-1)^n)##

What do you think?

Looks good so far. You can still simplify it a bit further.

Yes I thought about that too. Since only odd numbers survive I think this should be ok:##sin(2kx)=\frac{1}{2ie^{k^2}}\sum _{n=0}^{\infty }\frac{H_n(x)}{n!}(ik)^n[1-(-1)^n]##

##sin(2kx)=\frac{1}{e^{k^2}}\sum _{n=0}^{\infty }(-1)^n\frac{H_{2n+1}(x)}{(2n+1)!}k^{2n+1}##

Related to Write sin in terms of Hermite polynomials

1. What are Hermite polynomials?

Hermite polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials that are used in mathematical analysis and physics. They are named after the French mathematician Charles Hermite.

2. How are Hermite polynomials related to sine?

Hermite polynomials can be used to express the sine function in terms of a polynomial. This is referred to as writing sine in terms of Hermite polynomials.

3. Why is it useful to write sine in terms of Hermite polynomials?

Writing sine in terms of Hermite polynomials allows for easier manipulation and calculation of the sine function. It also allows for the application of Hermite polynomials in solving mathematical and physical problems involving sine.

4. How is sin expressed in terms of Hermite polynomials?

Sin can be expressed in terms of Hermite polynomials using the following formula: sin(x) = x - (1/3!)x^3 + (1/5!)x^5 - (1/7!)x^7 + ... + (-1)^n(1/(2n+1)!)x^(2n+1) + ...

5. Are there any limitations to writing sine in terms of Hermite polynomials?

Yes, writing sine in terms of Hermite polynomials is only applicable for certain values of x. If x is too large, the series may not converge and the calculation will not be accurate. In addition, the series may not be applicable for complex values of x.