Write the sum without sigma notation and evaluate it?

In summary, sigma notation is a shorthand way of writing a sum of a series of terms, commonly used in mathematics and statistics. It is not necessary to use sigma notation when writing sums, and to evaluate a sum written in sigma notation, you can expand the notation and use mathematical operations or a calculator to simplify the expression and obtain a final value.
femmed0ll
∑ 2cos (π/k)
k = 1

i have the answer..but all i need it the steps on how to figure it out!
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a finite sum...

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^4 2 \cos(\pi/k) = 2 \cos(\pi/1) + 2 \cos(\pi/2) + 2 \cos(\pi/3) + 2 \cos(\pi/4)[/tex]

It is not a question of "figuring it out", it is just a question of knowing what that notation means.

It means exactly what adriank said: replace the "k" in [itex]cos(\pi/k)[itex] with 1, 2, 3, and 4 and then add.

FAQ: Write the sum without sigma notation and evaluate it?

1. What is sigma notation and why is it used?

Sigma notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the sum of a series of terms. It is a shorthand way of writing a sum, where the terms are written in a general form and the number of terms is unspecified. It is commonly used in mathematics and statistics to express sums in a compact and concise way.

2. How do I write the sum without using sigma notation?

To write the sum without sigma notation, you can simply write out all the terms of the series and add them together. For example, if the series is 1+2+3+4+5, you can write it as (1+2+3+4+5) = 15.

3. Can you provide an example of evaluating a sum without using sigma notation?

Sure, let's say we have the series 2+4+6+8+10. To evaluate it without using sigma notation, we can write it as (2+4+6+8+10) = 30.

4. Is it necessary to use sigma notation when writing sums?

No, it is not necessary to use sigma notation when writing sums. It is only used as a shorthand notation to make writing and solving sums easier and more efficient. You can always write out the terms and evaluate them without using sigma notation.

5. How can I simplify or evaluate a sum written in sigma notation?

To simplify or evaluate a sum written in sigma notation, you can first expand the notation by writing out all the terms. Then, you can use mathematical operations such as addition, multiplication, and exponentiation to simplify the expression and obtain a final value. You can also use a calculator or mathematical software to help with the evaluation process.

Back