Writing a math textbook, program to draw diagrams?

In summary, programs exist to make creating diagrams easier, but depending on the type of diagram you are trying to make, you will need to use different applications.
Fellowroot
Hello, I am wanting to write a math/physics book or possibly a PDF online book and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any programs that exists for making pictures and drawing diagrams.

I not just looking for something to make x-y graphs or 3-D graphs, I'm looking for something that designed for custom problems like drawing a truck driving down a hill or a person throwing a baseball.

Do the people who make the texts books use programs to make drawing these things easier?

Or do they just use like photoshop or some vector based program and then import that image into the actual textbook.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on the type of drawing you might have to use different apps.

As an example, working on an ipad I would use PROCREATE to draw some fancy artwork, Myscript Mathpad to draw equations and expressions or inkpad to draw vector drawings. I also might import a photo and massage it into a cartoon or use it as a template to make my drawing.

Having the exported drawing, I'd import it into the Pages app to make my chapter.

For windows and others OSes there are similar programs with the most notable free one being Gimp.

Just to give everyone here a better idea of what I'm talking about. Here are some examples of the types of images and diagrams that I'd like to make. I'm wondering if there exists a specialized program that can make creating these diagrams easier.
physics_questions_1_zps85954953.png

Walker1195_zps51d13169.jpg

physics_questions_7_zpsb84d1f02.png

CorelDraw or any equivalent.

Inkscape
It's free, open source and produces vectorial graphics that you can reuse and or adapt without having to redraw from scratch. You can then build your own library of objects and getting more proficient the more you use it.

Here are a few more alternatives, rigged at physical diagrams.

If you have money, Adobe Illustrator.

Last edited:
I always draw diagrams like that in inkscape. Very easy to use and exports beautifully to .eps format for putting into LaTeX generated postscript or pdf.

Tools which export SVG (scalable vector graphics) would be good to consider too as that will go well with web pages.

Related to Writing a math textbook, program to draw diagrams?

1. How do I structure my math textbook?

The structure of a math textbook should follow a logical progression from basic concepts to more complex ones. It should also include clear explanations, examples, and practice problems to reinforce the material. Additionally, it is important to include visuals such as diagrams and graphs to aid in understanding.

2. What should I include in my math textbook?

A math textbook should cover all the necessary concepts and skills for the intended audience. This includes definitions, formulas, theorems, and problem-solving techniques. It is also helpful to include real-world applications to make the material more relatable.

3. How can I effectively use diagrams in my textbook?

Diagrams are a useful tool for visualizing mathematical concepts. They should be used to supplement written explanations and should be clear and easy to understand. It is important to label all parts of the diagram and provide a brief explanation of its purpose.

4. Should I include a program to draw diagrams in my math textbook?

Incorporating a program to draw diagrams can be beneficial for both the author and the reader. For the author, it can save time and improve the accuracy of the diagrams. For the reader, it can enhance the learning experience and make the material more interactive. However, it is important to ensure that the program is user-friendly and does not distract from the main content of the textbook.

5. How can I make my math textbook engaging for readers?

To make your math textbook engaging, it is important to present the material in a clear and concise manner. Additionally, including real-world examples and interactive elements such as practice problems and activities can help keep readers interested. Using a variety of visuals, such as diagrams and graphs, can also make the material more visually appealing.