Writing a story about a college math student

In summary, the conversation revolved around a writer seeking help for a story involving a college math student and needing an example of a question, process, and solution in Differential Geometry involving a "Submersion". The question was specifically for a Riemannian manifold with a surjective submersion and a transitive action by a lie group on the fibers. The solution was to show the existence of a unique metric on the manifold N that makes p a Riemannian submersion. The writer expressed gratitude for any help given.
Jared1
Hello, everyone:

I have a bit of a strange question, but I am a writer and I'm writing a story about a college math student. What I'm in need of is an example of a question in Differential Geometry involving a "Submersion" (preferably a word problem), the process, and the solution.

The math question will come to parallel the events in the main character's life.

If anyone can give me an example of a question, process, and solution, it would be warmly appreciated. Please feel free to post on here, or e-mail me at jared.shipley@hotmail.com.

Thanks, everyone!
Jared S.

Physics news on Phys.org

Does anyone have any suggestions for this?

Hello?

Let (M,g) be a Riemannian manifold, N be a manifold, and p:M->N a surjective submersion. Suppose also that there exists a lie group G acting transitively on the fibers of p, with p(g*x) = p(x) for all g in G, x in M. Show that there exists a unique metric h on N such that p is a Riemannian submersion.

This will be great! Thank you so much! I appreciate it!

Related to Writing a story about a college math student

1. What makes a good story about a college math student?

A good story about a college math student should have a strong and relatable protagonist, compelling conflicts and challenges, and an engaging plot that incorporates mathematical concepts or themes.

2. How can I accurately portray a college math student in my story?

To accurately portray a college math student, it is important to research and understand their academic schedule and workload, as well as their motivations, struggles, and passions. Talk to real college math students and observe their behaviors and mannerisms.

3. How can I make math interesting in my story for readers who don't like math?

To make math interesting for readers who don't like math, try to incorporate it in a way that is relatable and applicable to real-life situations. Use metaphors and analogies to explain complex concepts, and highlight the practical applications and benefits of math in everyday life.

4. What are some common stereotypes about college math students to avoid in my story?

Some common stereotypes about college math students include being socially awkward, overly serious, or only interested in numbers and equations. To avoid these stereotypes, make sure to develop well-rounded and dynamic characters that defy these narrow stereotypes.

5. How can I balance the technical aspects of math with the storytelling in my story?

To balance the technical aspects of math with storytelling, try to incorporate mathematical concepts and equations as a means to drive the plot and develop the characters, rather than overwhelming the reader with technical jargon. Use vivid and descriptive language to capture the beauty and complexity of math, while also maintaining a compelling narrative.