Writing a system of conic equations

In summary: This works:\begin{bmatrix} x & y & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & x & y \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} a & b/2 \\ b/2 & c \\ g & h/2 \\ h/2 & i \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix} +\begin{bmatrix} f\\ l \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0\\ 0\\ \end{bmatrix}If a linear equation (or a affim equation) can be represent a linear system,
Jhenrique

Homework Statement

Given a system like: [tex]\\a x^2 + b xy + c y^2 + d x + e y + f = 0 \\g x^2 + h xy + i y^2 + j x + k y + l = 0[/tex] How write it in matrix form?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\begin{matrix} a x^2 + b xy + c y^2\\ g x^2 + h xy + i y^2\\ \end{matrix} + \begin{bmatrix} d & e\\ j & k\\ \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x\\ y\\ \end{bmatrix} + \begin{bmatrix} f\\ l\\ \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0\\ 0\\ \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
I don't know how!

Physics news on Phys.org
A single set of quadratic terms can be written
[tex]ax^2+ bxy+ cy^2= \begin{bmatrix}x & y \end{bmatrix}a & b/2 \\ b/2 & c \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

You should be able to tweak that to give two.

This works:

[tex]
\begin{bmatrix} x & y & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & x & y \end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix} a & b/2 \\ b/2 & c \\ g & h/2 \\ h/2 & i \end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix} +
\begin{bmatrix} d & e \\ j & k \end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix}+
\begin{bmatrix} f\\ l \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0\\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

But why? What are you trying to do, Jhenrique?

HallsofIvy said:
[tex]ax^2+ bxy+ cy^2= \begin{bmatrix}x & y \end{bmatrix}a & b/2 \\ b/2 & c \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

I can't see!

D H said:
This works:

[tex]
\begin{bmatrix} x & y & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & x & y \end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix} a & b/2 \\ b/2 & c \\ g & h/2 \\ h/2 & i \end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix} +
\begin{bmatrix} d & e \\ j & k \end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix} x \\ y \end{bmatrix}+
\begin{bmatrix} f\\ l \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 0\\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

But why? What are you trying to do, Jhenrique?

I'm trying to write a vectorial equation that represents a system not of linear equations but yes of quadratic equations!

If a linear equation (or a affim equation) can be represent a linear system, so, a quadratic equation can represent a quadratic system.

I think Halls means this:

HallsofIvy said:
[tex]ax^2+ bxy+ cy^2= \begin{bmatrix}x & y \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}a & b/2\\b/2 & c \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

FAQ: Writing a system of conic equations

1. What is a system of conic equations?

A system of conic equations is a set of equations that describe the relationship between two or more conic sections, such as circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas. These equations are typically written in standard form and can be used to graph the conic sections and solve for their various properties.

2. How do I write a system of conic equations?

To write a system of conic equations, first identify the type of conic section(s) involved. Then, use the general equation for that conic section and substitute in the given values or coefficients to create a set of equations. Make sure to arrange the equations in standard form, with all variables on one side and the constant on the other side.

3. What is the importance of writing a system of conic equations?

Writing a system of conic equations allows you to graph and analyze the conic sections involved. It also helps to solve for important properties, such as the center, foci, and asymptotes of the conic sections. These equations are also used in real-world applications, such as in engineering and physics.

4. Can a system of conic equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of conic equations can have more than one solution. This occurs when the equations describe intersecting or overlapping conic sections. The number of solutions can vary depending on the type of conic sections involved and the given coefficients.

5. How do I check if my solution to a system of conic equations is correct?

To check if your solution to a system of conic equations is correct, you can substitute the values into the original equations and see if they satisfy the equations. You can also graph the conic sections and see if the given points lie on the curves. Additionally, you can use algebraic methods, such as substitution or elimination, to verify the solutions.