Writing an alternate vector Equation for a line.

In summary: Substitute this expression for ##t## into your original equation for ##w## and then adjust ##s## and ##m## until you get the desired point.In summary, the conversation discusses finding an alternate vector equation for a given line in 3-space by changing the point and direction vector. The suggested method is to find a new point on the line and then solve for the parameter t to reach that point. Another method is to choose a new curve parameter and substitute it into the original equation, adjusting it until the desired point is reached.
Physics345

Homework Statement

Write an alternate vector equation for the following line. Change both the point and the direction vector:
w⃗ =(4,−1,3)+t(−2,1,7)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Did I write a proper alternate vector equation here? I'm still new to vectors in 3-space any tips or ways to confirm the answers to these types of questions would be greatly appreciated

i5juqOM.png

Attachments

• i5juqOM.png
    i5juqOM.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,348
Physics news on Phys.org
That's one way to do it. One way to check yourself is to find a new point on one of the lines (using another value of s, for example) then see if you can find a value for t which gets on that same point.

Likes Physics345
basically a trial and error method correct for example:
=(-4,-1,3)+3(-2,1,7)
=(-4,-1,3)+(-6,3,21)
=(-10,2,24)

=(2,0,10)+3(-4,2,14)
=(2,0,10)+(-12,6,42)
and keep going till they match?
Am I on the right track here?

Last edited:
For a given t you should be able to write down an equation for s to get to the same point. You do not have to select a particular t, you can solve it generally.

This is also a faster way to solve the problem. Choose a new curve parameter ##s## such that ##t = ks + m## for some non-zero constants ##k\neq 1## and ##m##.

Likes scottdave

Related to Writing an alternate vector Equation for a line.

1. What is an alternate vector equation for a line?

An alternate vector equation for a line is a way to represent a line using vector notation. It is typically written in the form r = r0 + tv, where r0 is the position vector of a point on the line and v is a vector parallel to the line.

2. How is an alternate vector equation different from a standard equation for a line?

Unlike a standard equation for a line, which is typically written in the form y = mx + b, an alternate vector equation represents a line using vector notation. It is more general and can be used to represent lines in any dimension, not just in the x-y plane.

3. What are the advantages of using an alternate vector equation for a line?

An alternate vector equation for a line can be useful in certain situations, such as when working in higher dimensions or when dealing with lines that are not necessarily parallel to the x-y plane. It can also be helpful in vector calculus and physics, where vector notation is commonly used.

4. How do you convert a standard equation for a line into an alternate vector equation?

To convert a standard equation for a line into an alternate vector equation, you first need to find a point on the line and a vector parallel to the line. You can then use these values to fill in the appropriate variables in the alternate vector equation r = r0 + tv.

5. Can an alternate vector equation be used to represent any line?

Yes, an alternate vector equation can be used to represent any line, as long as you have a point on the line and a vector parallel to the line. It is a more general form of representing a line compared to a standard equation, which is limited to lines in the x-y plane.