Writing Hamiltonian: Classical Mechanics

In summary, Homework Statement discusses the concepts of a Hamiltonian and how it can be written in terms of kinetic energy and azimuthal angle. However, the text states that a different term, T0T0, should be considered quadratic in velocity dependence, which is not the case. The difficulty for the reader is identifying which terms are generalised coordinates and which are not. The solution provided does not provide a clear answer.
WWCY

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 11.42.20 PM.png

I'm having some issues understanding a number of concepts in this section here. I attached the corresponding figure at the end of the post for reference.

Issue 1)

1st of all, I understand that a Hamiltonian can be written as such
$$H = T_2 - T_0 + U$$
whereby ##T_2## and ##T_0## are Kinetic Energy terms quadratically dependent and linearly independent on generalised velocities respectively.

However, the text above writes that ##T_2 = \frac{ma^2}{2 \dot{\theta} ^2}## and ##T_0 = \frac{1}{2}m\omega ^2 a^2 \sin ^2 \theta##.

Since we defined ##r,\theta , \phi## as our spherical coordinates, and ##\omega = \dot{\phi}##, why was the term identified as ##T_0## not considered to be quadratic in velocity dependence?

What constitutes a generalised coordinate/velocity, and what constitutes "something else"?

Issue 2)

So far, I have learned that the azimuthal angle (##\theta## in this case) is to be defined from the "North" end of the ##z## axis. In this case, ##\theta## is defined from the "South" end. Is there any appreciable difference in both definitions?

Assistance is greatly appreciated!

Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 11.42.30 PM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 11.42.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 11.42.20 PM.png
    39 KB · Views: 1,529
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 11.42.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 11.42.30 PM.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 492
Physics news on Phys.org
WWCY said:
Since we defined r,θ,ϕr,θ,ϕr,\theta , \phi as our spherical coordinates, and ω=˙ϕω=ϕ˙\omega = \dot{\phi}, why was the term identified as T0T0T_0 not considered to be quadratic in velocity dependence?
The only generalised coordinate you have is ##\theta##. Both ##r## and ##\phi## are given by constraints. Your configuration space is one-dimensional.

WWCY said:
So far, I have learned that the azimuthal angle (θθ\theta in this case) is to be defined from the "North" end of the zzz axis. In this case, θθ\theta is defined from the "South" end. Is there any appreciable difference in both definitions?
You can use whatever coordinates you want. If you are uncomfortable with theta going from the ”south”, let it go from the ”north” and introduce a new coordinate ##\vartheta = \pi -\theta##.

Thanks for the response.

Orodruin said:
The only generalised coordinate you have is ##\theta##. Both ##r## and ##\phi## are given by constraints. Your configuration space is one-dimensional.

Would I be right to say that generalised coordinates / velocities are those that are not given by a problem, and thus are allowed to vary?

Generalised coordinates are the coordinates that you need to specify in order to know the configuration of a system. For a particle moving on a sphere (or any two-dimensional surface) the configuration space is two-dimensional and requires two coordinates. Whether or not something has been stated in a problem is not really relevant. You should be able to identify the configuration space regardless. For example, I could ask you what the configuration space of a double planar pendulum is.

Orodruin said:
Generalised coordinates are the coordinates that you need to specify in order to know the configuration of a system. For a particle moving on a sphere (or any two-dimensional surface) the configuration space is two-dimensional and requires two coordinates. Whether or not something has been stated in a problem is not really relevant. You should be able to identify the configuration space regardless. For example, I could ask you what the configuration space of a double planar pendulum is.

I'm afraid I still don't quite follow. In the example I quoted, wouldn't i need all of ##r, \phi## and ##\theta## to specify a mass' position in space?

Thanks for assisting.

WWCY said:
I'm afraid I still don't quite follow. In the example I quoted, wouldn't i need all of ##r, \phi## and ##\theta## to specify a mass' position in space?

Thanks for assisting.
No. The mass is restricted to move on the ring. If you specify ##\theta##, that is enough to know where it is. In order to know its 3D position you would also need to know the configuration of the ring, but its motion is already known. The system you are looking at is only the mass’ position on the ring.

Orodruin said:
No. The mass is restricted to move on the ring. If you specify ##\theta##, that is enough to know where it is. In order to know its 3D position you would also need to know the configuration of the ring, but its motion is already known. The system you are looking at is only the mass’ position on the ring.
Is this to say that because the motion and radius has already been defined, all that's left is to define ##\theta##, hence we use it as a generalised coordinate?

WWCY said:
Is this to say that because the motion and radius has already been defined, all that's left is to define ##\theta##, hence we use it as a generalised coordinate?
I do not like to phrase it this way, it seems to somehow suggest that it is the coordinates we put on something that we use to define its motion, it is not. Coordinates is something we use to describe the motion. Given the physical setup of motion on the rong, it is sufficient with one coordinate to fully describe the motion, the position on the ring.

If you want the actual spatial coordinates of the mass, then you will also need to know the orientation and position of the ring, but the configuration of the motion itself is one-dimensional.

Orodruin said:
If you want the actual spatial coordinates of the mass, then you will also need to know the orientation and position of the ring, but the configuration of the motion itself is one-dimensional.

Could you elaborate a little on the idea of configuration space?

Thanks for assisting!

Related to Writing Hamiltonian: Classical Mechanics

1. What is Hamiltonian in classical mechanics?

The Hamiltonian in classical mechanics is a function that describes the total energy of a system. It is represented by the symbol H and is defined as the sum of the kinetic and potential energies of all the particles in the system.

2. What is the role of Hamiltonian in classical mechanics?

The Hamiltonian plays a crucial role in classical mechanics as it is used to describe the dynamics of a system. It allows us to determine the position and momentum of particles at any given time and predict their future behavior.

3. How is Hamiltonian different from Lagrangian?

While both Hamiltonian and Lagrangian are used to describe the dynamics of a system, they differ in their approach. The Lagrangian is based on the concept of minimizing the action of a system, while the Hamiltonian is based on the principle of least action. Additionally, the Hamiltonian includes the total energy of the system, while the Lagrangian does not.

4. What are the advantages of using Hamiltonian in classical mechanics?

One of the main advantages of using Hamiltonian in classical mechanics is that it simplifies the equations of motion for a system. It also allows for the use of mathematical techniques, such as symplectic geometry, to study the dynamics of a system. Additionally, the Hamiltonian formalism is useful for systems with constraints and can easily be extended to quantum mechanics.

5. How do you write the Hamiltonian for a specific system?

The Hamiltonian for a specific system is written by considering the kinetic and potential energies of all the particles in the system. The kinetic energy is typically written in terms of the momenta of the particles, while the potential energy is a function of the positions of the particles. The Hamiltonian can also include other variables, such as time, if they are relevant to the system.