Writing numerals in the U.S. How do *you* do it?

• Thread starter Geezer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Writing
In summary: Ones are always lowercase.2) Sevens are always crossed.3) Twos have a loop, but never a dot.4) Fours are boxes with a line crossing the vertical line.5) Zeros are always crossed.
Geezer
Perhaps this is more of a poll...

How do you write your numerals in the U.S.?

1. My ones are European-esque if the 1 is to stand alone (that is, if it's not a 1 that's going to be in the middle of an unambiguous number, then it will have a hook and a base...but if it's smack in the middle of a larger number, say, 3.14159, then I go with the American stray line that looks like | ).

2. My sevens are crossed.

3. Twos never have a loop in them (I was taught this by my algebra instructor years ago, so as to distinguish 2 from the cursive Q...you know, way back when when you had to write in cursive...). To distinguish my 2 from a Z, I always cross my Z.

4. There's no rhyme or reason to my fours. Sometimes the top comes together to make a triangle, other times it's the box four that most Americans prefer.

5. As with 1, if a 0 is to stand alone, I'll cross it (though diagonally so it doesn't look like theta).

What conventions do you adhere to?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm, interesting.

1) I never write "1" alone unless it is part of a number. I was always taught that you write the numbers 0-10 (or maybe it was 0-100) out like "zero, one, two, three". GOD that makes me realize it has been SO long since I really wrote something out that was not in a physics context where the person will never misinterpret a 1 for an I if left alone.

2) I have never ever seen anyone do this. Is this common in Europe?

3) I also never put curves on my 2s and TRY to put crosses on my Zs as it makes me feel more confident that it won't be misinterpreted.

4) I like the box 4. It's kinda funny how we see the triangle 4 and the little curly thing at the bottom of a 9 SO often on printed text, but when I actually write the numbers out, it is never with the triangle or the bottom curve on the 9. I suppose it's subconscious time-saver.

5) Again, I write 0s down.

The real hilarious/confusing moments are when people write down things using the greek alphabet. I have a professor whose [tex]\psi[/tex] looks like a [tex]\phi[/tex] because when he draws the curve in Psi, he goes left to right but then loops around to the top center with his pencil/chalk still kinda on the paper/board and finishes by drawing the vertical line straight down. So you get this kinda 3/4 circle with the line down the middle that starts looking like Phis.

Geezer said:
Perhaps this is more of a poll...

How do you write your numerals in the U.S.?

1. My ones are European-esque if the 1 is to stand alone (that is, if it's not a 1 that's going to be in the middle of an unambiguous number, then it will have a hook and a base...but if it's smack in the middle of a larger number, say, 3.14159, then I go with the American stray line that looks like | ).

2. My sevens are crossed.

3. Twos never have a loop in them (I was taught this by my algebra instructor years ago, so as to distinguish 2 from the cursive Q...you know, way back when when you had to write in cursive...). To distinguish my 2 from a Z, I always cross my Z.

4. There's no rhyme or reason to my fours. Sometimes the top comes together to make a triangle, other times it's the box four that most Americans prefer.

5. As with 1, if a 0 is to stand alone, I'll cross it (though diagonally so it doesn't look like theta).

What conventions do you adhere to?

1. I never use a serif on a one, just a vertical line. Well, something close to vertical.

2. I almost always cross my sevens, even though it's very uncommon in the us.

3. Twos nearly always have a loop; Z is never crossed. I don't remember the last time I saw a cursive Q :smile:!

4. Fours are boxes. The horizontal line crosses the vertical line a little bit.

5. I used to cross my zeros but that disappeared over the years.

In general my writing is messy.

Pengwuino said:
2) I have never ever seen anyone do this. Is this common in Europe?

Not sure about whole Europe, in Poland in handwriting not crossed 7 is... not 7.

Crossed Z is more problematic, as one of letters from Polish alphabet can be written either as crossed z or z with a dot above (ż).

Borek said:
Not sure about whole Europe, in Poland in handwriting not crossed 7 is... not 7.

In Germany at least, a 7 without a crossbar is a 1, which always has a large serif. The crossbar is what distinguishes a 7 from a 1.

Although my 1's are always simple more-or-less vertical lines, I do cross my 7's. I picked up the habit from my wife, who teaches German.

2 - no closed loop at the top. [added: I also cross my z's]

4 - open top with right angles.

When there's a danger of ambiguity (as in programming-language code) I slash my zeroes, put top and bottom serifs on capital I's, and write lower-case L as a loop.

Last edited:
To disambiguate the number 1 and the lower case L (l), I don't change my 1, rather, I change my l into a script l. So, my 1 remains a vertical line, and my l becomes a loop.

When I was in engineering school, I had really clean, neat penmanship due to the required drafting courses. I'd turn in homework and tests with numerals that were almost suitable for blueprints. Now, my penmanship is sloppy, my signature is an indecipherable scrawl, and I have to pay attention to my numerals when writing checks to avoid misinterpretation.

0- context specific, if programming, I'll throw a slash through
1- vertical line
2- no loop
4- triangular
7- with a line through it
l- script l
z- with a line through it

jtbell said:
When there's a danger of ambiguity (as in programming-language code) I slash my zeroes, put top and bottom serifs on capital I's, and write lower-case L as a loop.

I totally forgot about this! Yes, I do this, too, with capital I's and lower case L's.

How in the world do you make a 2 without a curve, that doesn't look like a Z? Sure you make cross a Z, but that doesn't disambiguify a 2 by itself.

Also, I write in arial font, about size 12.5. My characters are defined by bezier curves, and I draw them exactly correct every time.

I prefer to write everything in Computer Modern. :)

I write in hex 63.F% of the time.

KingNothing said:
How in the world do you make a 2 without a curve, that doesn't look like a Z? Sure you make cross a Z, but that doesn't disambiguify a 2 by itself.

Also, I write in arial font, about size 12.5. My characters are defined by bezier curves, and I draw them exactly correct every time.

If your 2 doesn't loop, you have to cross your z.

That sentence sounds odd.

lisab said:
If your 2 doesn't loop, you have to cross your z.

That sounds atrocious. In other words, it invites ambiguity by taking a would-be-unique character and makes it look like another character.

KingNothing said:
That sounds atrocious. In other words, it invites ambiguity by taking a would-be-unique character and makes it look like another character.

Ha, yes it does! That's kind of what adding a top serif to 1 does, too. Then it can look like an uncrossed 7.

1. Vertical line unless alone, then sometimes serif'd
2. Never with a loop
4. Always open, to distinguish it from 9
7. Always crossed
0. Just normal. Looks the same as O. I don't use O in math.
I,J. Always with horizontal parts; I, to distinguish it from l and 1, J, because it looks nice.
l. Always script-l when in math formulas.
Z. Always crossed.
[itex]\Theta[/itex]. Always with serifs on the middle bar, to distinguish it from [itex]\theta[/itex]

lisab said:
Ha, yes it does! That's kind of what adding a top serif to 1 does, too. Then it can look like an uncrossed 7.

Wow, somehow this knowledge has really ruined my day.

KingNothing said:
Wow, somehow this knowledge has really ruined my day.

Oops, that wasn't my intent :frown:! Was your day already sort of precarious?

lisab said:
Oops, that wasn't my intent :frown:! Was your day already sort of precarious?

I wasn't being totally serious. :-p

1 - just a line if it's part of a number, the hook/base version if it's alone.
2 - non loop
4 - box
7 - crossed, I'm not sure why I started doing it or why it's even done in the first place
0 - usually uncrossed
z - crossed

My handwriting is rather poor. I used to get C's and D's in handwriting in elementary school.

Since I studied German many years ago, I adopted the practice of writing [strike]7[/strike].

I generally write sans serif. I'm a writing minimalist. I write with a minimum of vertical movement, so sometimes my writing is unintelligble to others, and sometimes to myself.

I find cursive very difficult

And I never write my signature the same way.

Astronuc said:
My handwriting is rather poor. I used to get C's and D's in handwriting in elementary school.

Since I studied German many years ago, I adopted the practice of writing [strike]7[/strike].

I generally write sans serif. I'm a writing minimalist. I write with a minimum of vertical movement, so sometimes my writing is unintelligble to others, and sometimes to myself.

I find cursive very difficult

So do you use modern computer typewriting in communicating mathematical formulas?

No slash in the 0.
Vertical line for 1.
No loop in the 2.
Squarish 4.
No cross in the 7.
Two circles for an 8.

I like Serena said:
So do you use modern computer typewriting in communicating mathematical formulas?
Equations I can write fairly well. But I tend to use TeX, Word equation or Mathcad for writing equations/models.

½, ∜, ⅶ, ��, ℑ, ��, ℓ, ℤ, ��, etcetera:

with plain text, Latex, Word, Excel, WolramAlpha, Mathcad as seems appropriate.

I'm not saying what I use on my scratch pad - I prefer to let no one see that :biggrin:.

[edit]Note that plain text is not suitable for all symbols :frown:[/edit]

Whenever I write something that's alphanumeric, I always cross the 0's and write 1's with a serif. Otherwise, I don't.

I always understood that a crossed 7 was French.

For me, as with geezer, a standalone one has serif.
Zeros are crossed if there's any ambiguity.
No loop in my 2s.
4s are closed.

Why the heck do you people not put a loop in the 2? This just absolutely boggles my mind!

KingNothing said:
Why the heck do you people not put a loop in the 2? This just absolutely boggles my mind!

From wikipedia (where else) in: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_handwriting_variation

"The numeral 2 — In Germany and Austria a "curly" version used to be taught and is still used by many in handwriting. The 2 can be confused with a capital script Q, or a letter Z."

Are you from Germany or Austria?

I'm a chronic LaTeX-er.

I used to loop my 2's until I got into classes with partial derivatives.

jhae2.718 said:
I'm a chronic LaTeX-er.

That's a *lot* better than being a late chronic-er.

KingNothing said:
No. How does "2" get confused with "Q"? I write them just like your computer probably displays them.

http://kolahun.typepad.com/kolahun/images/2008/04/28/cursive_q.gif" 's the cursive Q I was taught.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geezer said:
http://kolahun.typepad.com/kolahun/images/2008/04/28/cursive_q.gif" 's the cursive Q I was taught.

Me too...but seriously, when was the last time you met one in the wild?

I don't think I could write one without peeking, if I hadn't looked at your link :redface:!

Last edited by a moderator: