Wrong maple leaf on Canadian currency

• Maple
  • Thread starter SW VandeCarr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maple
In summary, Canada has apparently issued a 20 CAD bill with a Norwegian maple leaf on it's face side according to an expert. Tsk!TsK!
SW VandeCarr
Canada has apparently issued a 20 CAD bill with a Norwegian maple leaf on it's face side according to an expert . Tsk!TsK!

http://news.yahoo.com/canada-put-wrong-maple-leaf-canadian-dollar-20-195337455--business.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not a Norwegian Maple, it's a Norway Maple. They are an invasive species in the American continent. They are planted extensively by home developers because they are ornamental and grow quickly. On the downside, they inhibit undergrowth and crowd out other trees including the Sugar Maple, Canada's symbol. I had two on my yard, but one got infested with carpenter ants and I cut it down. The neighborhood was built about 90 years ago and is full of them.

Jimmy Snyder said:
It's not a Norwegian Maple, it's a Norway Maple.

That's even worse!

At least it wasn't a palm tree, or worse yet, a Norwegian palm tree.

Jimmy Snyder said:
At least it wasn't a palm tree, or worse yet, a Norwegian palm tree.

You know, even I can tell the difference between that sorry excuse for a maple leaf on the twenty dollar bill and the maple leaf on the Canadian flag, and perhaps more importantly, the insignia of the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iXeBe-6H4g

Last edited:
Canada is a nation of immigrants, a cultural mosaic of people from all over the globe. Unlike its neighbor to the South (who seems to have a major political party based in part on xenophobia), Canadians embrace the idea of multiculturalism. Just because an individual (or in this case a tree) comes from a different country, doesn't mean that it cannot be Canadian.

Ygggdrasil said:
Just because an individual (or in this case a tree) comes from a different country, doesn't mean that it cannot be Canadian.

I know the Norway Maple is a fait accompli as an invasive species, but are you sure Canadians would welcome other non-indigenous plant and animal species? I never thought of that as political.

Last edited:
Xenophobia is a common trait that brings all people together. In fact, the United States has the best xenophobia in the world. There are a couple of states that have banned the Norway maple, whatever that means, but I don't think it was xenophobia that made them do it. If it threatens the Sugar maple, Canada may follow suit. Except, of course, in Quebec.

No doubt the inclusion of a Norway Maple was a preconceived feature of the new $20 to thwart counterfeiters who would most naturally think Canada and draw a Maple Leaf. Now that the secret is out ...

O Canada! First, it was maple theft and now wrong maple leaf.

World is coming to an end!

Omg. Its not even the real queen.
They have used the Queen of England.
Make haste Holmes. The game is afoot. We have work to do.

Related to Wrong maple leaf on Canadian currency

1. Why is there a wrong maple leaf on Canadian currency?

The wrong maple leaf on Canadian currency is most likely due to a mistake made during the design or printing process. It is not intentional and is corrected as soon as it is noticed.

2. How often does the wrong maple leaf appear on Canadian currency?

The wrong maple leaf on Canadian currency is a rare occurrence and is not a common issue. It is usually caught and corrected before the currency is circulated.

3. What impact does the wrong maple leaf have on the value of the currency?

The wrong maple leaf does not have any impact on the value of the currency. It is still considered legal tender and can be used for transactions just like any other currency with the correct design.

4. Are there any consequences for using currency with the wrong maple leaf?

No, there are no consequences for using currency with the wrong maple leaf. As mentioned, it is still considered legal tender and can be used for transactions.

5. How can I identify if a Canadian currency has the wrong maple leaf?

The wrong maple leaf can usually be identified by comparing the image on the currency to the official design released by the Bank of Canada. It may also be mentioned in news articles if it is a recent occurrence.