X and y coordinates, integration, semicircular plate (masteringphysics)

In summary, the equation for finding the x-coordinate is x_{cm}=\frac{Mx_{cm}}{M} and the equation for finding the y-coordinate is y_{cm}=\frac{My_{cm}}{M}.
kottur

Homework Statement

Use equations x[itex]_{cm}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{M}[/itex][itex]\int x dm[/itex] and y[itex]_{cm}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{M}[/itex][itex]\int y dm[/itex] to calculate the x- and y-coordinates of the center of mass of a semicircular metal plate with uniform density [itex]\rho[/itex] and thickness t. Let the radius of the plate be R. The mass of the plate is thus M=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\rho\pi[/itex]a[itex]^{2}t[/itex].

Use the coordinate system indicated in the figure.

YF-08-51.jpg

1. Calculate the x-coordinate of the center of mass of a semicircular metal plate. Express your answer in terms of the variables a, ρ and t.

2. Calculate the y-coordinate of the center of mass of a semicircular metal plate. Express your answer in terms of the variables a, ρ and t.

Homework Equations

I think these:

[itex]\vec{r_{cm}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{m_{1}\vec{r_{1}}+m_{2}\vec{r_{2}}+...}{m_{1}+m_{2}}[/itex]

But instead of the sum I need to integrate, right?
Does this equation work in 3D?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to use the equation and what information to use where.

To find x-coordinate:

x[itex]_{cm}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{Mx_{cm}}{M}[/itex]=x[itex]_{cm}[/itex] ??

y[itex]_{cm}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{My_{cm}}{M}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I can tell you a couple of things. Because of symmetry, you don't need to use the z coordinate, you already know the z coordinate of centre of mass. I would also say the same thing for the x coordinate. So the only coordinate that you need to iron out is the y coordinate.

EDIT: You will have to put dm in terms of something else I believe.

Last edited:
But how do I find the x coordinate in terms of rho, a and t?

Is x=0 by symmetry?

kottur said:
Is x=0 by symmetry?

yes sir, because you go from -R to R.

The best day to find y is ysqrt(r^2-y^2) and do a substitution

I got the answer [itex]\frac{4a}{3\pi}[/itex] from a friend but I want to know how to get there!

How does that work with [itex]y=y\sqrt{r^{2}-y^{2}}[/itex]?

I haven't seen that in my textbook.

darn i forgot that textbook kind of sucks :(. maybe forget that method since you won't be able to reference it easily

Thanks anyway... :) :/

dm can be written in terms of rho dV. this rho will cancel out which gives you the clue that you're headed in the right direction. You just have to perform dV properly.

Related to X and y coordinates, integration, semicircular plate (masteringphysics)

1. What are X and Y coordinates?

X and Y coordinates are a two-dimensional system used to locate points on a plane. The X coordinate represents the horizontal position of a point, while the Y coordinate represents the vertical position.

2. How are X and Y coordinates used in integration?

X and Y coordinates are used in integration to find the area under a curve. By dividing the curve into small rectangles, the X and Y coordinates of each point can be used to calculate the area of each rectangle, which can then be summed to find the total area under the curve.

3. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve. It is the reverse of differentiation, which involves finding the slope of a curve at a given point. Integration is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What is a semicircular plate?

A semicircular plate is a two-dimensional object with a circular shape that has been cut in half. It has a flat side and a curved side, and is often used in physics problems to represent objects with a circular cross-section.

5. How is the semicircular plate used in masteringphysics?

The semicircular plate is often used in masteringphysics as a problem-solving tool to test students' understanding of concepts such as integration and forces. It may be used in various scenarios, such as finding the center of mass of the plate or calculating the torque on the plate due to an applied force.

Back