X-Ray Diffraction peak width due to micro-strain

In summary, the peak-width of diffraction data increases with increasing amounts of heterogeneous, localized (AKA "micro-") strain. This means that if a single crystal contains atomic impurities that create micro-strain in the lattice, the peak-broadening will scale with the amount of impurity. However, if there is enough impurity in the crystal, the micro-strain fields will start to blend together, resulting in a decrease in peak width and a possible shift. There is literature available on the effect of micro-strains on peak width, but not much on when these micro-strains become closely spaced enough to diffract as a homogeneous strain. Some suggested references are the article "Deformation Faults and
CarlJose
I understand that the peak-width of diffraction data increases with increasing amounts of heterogeneous, localized (AKA "micro-") strain.

So, if you have a single crystal with atomic impurities in it that each create micro-strain in the lattice, you would expect the amount of peak-broadening to scale with the amount of the impurity—Right?

But, if there is enough impurity in the crystal, eventually the impurities would be spaced close enough together that it seems the micro-strain fields associated with each impurity would start to "blend" together into something more homogeneous, and then peaks would actually decrease in width (and probably shift)—Right?

Am I correct here? While there is plenty in the literature that describes the effect of micro-strain on diffracted peak width, I can't seem to find anything in the literature that describes when inherently heterogeneous micro-strains in a lattice might become closely enough spaced to diffract as a homogenous strain. Basically, I'm looking for journal or textbook references to guide me.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey,

I'm not 100% sure but sounds as if looking into diffraction peak-broadening and peak-shift effects might be your thing. Not sure if its entirely applicable but:

http://www.jmst.org/fileup/PDF/02459.pdf

and of course.. Warren's book on x-ray diffraction (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486663175/?tag=pfamazon01-20) might be useful for you?

I can't quote the exact thing but the stacking fault probability equation consists of a and b contributions (i.e. deformation faults and growth faults from peak broadening and peak shifts). If the only contribution to your single crystal comes from the impurities then you may be able to co-relate how much impurities are in the system... assuming you can get values of an unstrained lattice... c.f. the first link.

Hope I'm not misunderstanding/being confusing and that helps.

Regards,
Let

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to X-Ray Diffraction peak width due to micro-strain

1. What is X-Ray Diffraction peak width due to micro-strain?

X-Ray Diffraction peak width due to micro-strain refers to the broadening of diffraction peaks in an X-Ray Diffraction pattern caused by the presence of micro-strains, or small distortions, within the crystal lattice of a material. These micro-strains can be caused by a variety of factors, such as defects, impurities, and dislocations within the crystal structure.

2. How is X-Ray Diffraction peak width related to micro-strain?

The width of a diffraction peak in an X-Ray Diffraction pattern is directly related to the amount of micro-strain present in the crystal lattice. As the level of micro-strain increases, the diffraction peaks become broader and less intense. This relationship allows scientists to use X-Ray Diffraction peak width measurements to analyze the micro-strain within a material.

3. Why is X-Ray Diffraction peak width due to micro-strain important in materials science?

X-Ray Diffraction peak width due to micro-strain is an important aspect of materials science because it provides valuable information about the internal structure and properties of materials. By analyzing the diffraction peak widths, scientists can gain insights into the presence and extent of micro-strains within a material, which can impact its mechanical, electrical, and thermal properties.

4. How is X-Ray Diffraction peak width measured and calculated?

X-Ray Diffraction peak width is typically measured using specialized software that analyzes the full width at half maximum (FWHM) of a diffraction peak. This is then used to calculate the peak width using the Scherrer equation, which takes into account factors such as the wavelength of the X-rays, the diffraction angle, and the size and shape of the crystalline grains within the material.

5. How can X-Ray Diffraction peak width due to micro-strain be used in practical applications?

The analysis of X-Ray Diffraction peak width due to micro-strain has numerous practical applications in materials science. It can be used to characterize and monitor the quality and stability of materials, to study phase transformations and microstructural changes, and to assess the effects of external stresses on materials. This information is crucial for developing and improving materials for a wide range of industries, including aerospace, electronics, and automotive.