XY Plane with Z as Time: Big Bang?

• Thread starter sloughter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane Time
In summary, at very short scales (Planck length), the number of dimensions decreases (spontaneous dimension reduction). This could be evidence for the existence of a fourdimensional universe.
sloughter
Shortly after the Big Bang was there an extremely brief period of time when the universe consisted of an xy plane with z as time, the third dimension? In other words did a three dimensional universe predate a four dimensional universe?

Physics news on Phys.org
sloughter said:
Shortly after the Big Bang was there an extremely brief period of time when the universe consisted of an xy plane with z as time, the third dimension? In other words did a three dimensional universe predate a four dimensional universe?

Do you have any reference for this idea?

There is a concept (especially pursued by Professor Steven Carlip) that at very short scales (Planck length), the number of dimensions decreases (spontaneous dimension reduction). However, I have no idea of this is what you are referring to. Also, z is just a letter of the alphabet. If z functions as time, you might as well call it t (or Bob for that matter; it doesn't matter what you call it).

No--I do not have a reference for that idea. Yes---that is what I meant about the third dimension being time. I was not familiar with the work of Professor Steven Carlip and can only speculate that these dimensions may even be shorter than the Planck length.

PAllen said:
There is a concept (especially pursued by Professor Steven Carlip) that at very short scales (Planck length), the number of dimensions decreases (spontaneous dimension reduction).
I know that Carlip has worked on 2+1-dimensional gravity as a simple model for both classical and quantum gravity, but I can't find any mention that he thinks it has any connection to reality, even at the Planck scale.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

Related to XY Plane with Z as Time: Big Bang?

1. What is the XY Plane with Z as Time?

The XY plane with Z as time is a graphical representation of the universe's expansion over time. The XY plane represents the spatial dimensions while the Z axis represents time. This model is often used to explain the Big Bang theory.

2. How does the XY Plane with Z as Time support the Big Bang theory?

The XY plane with Z as time shows that the universe is expanding, which supports the idea that the universe originated from a single point, known as the singularity, and has been expanding ever since due to the Big Bang.

3. What evidence is there for the Big Bang theory in the XY Plane with Z as Time?

The evidence for the Big Bang theory in the XY plane with Z as time includes the cosmic microwave background radiation, the redshift of distant galaxies, and the abundance of light elements in the universe. These all support the idea of an initial singularity and the subsequent expansion of the universe.

4. Can the XY Plane with Z as Time explain what happened before the Big Bang?

No, the XY plane with Z as time only represents the expansion of the universe after the Big Bang. It cannot explain what happened before the Big Bang, as the concept of time did not exist before the event.

5. Are there any alternative theories to the Big Bang that can be represented in the XY Plane with Z as Time?

Yes, some alternative theories, such as the Steady State theory or the Oscillating Universe theory, can also be represented in the XY plane with Z as time. However, these theories are not as widely accepted as the Big Bang theory due to a lack of evidence.