Y coordinate of a charged particle

In summary, the charged particle of charge 0.000003 C and mass 0.000007 kg moves across the electric field 6760 V/m with initial speed 40 m/s. When its x coordinate is 93.3 cm, its y coordinate is (in cm)?The charged particle of charge 0.000003 C and mass 0.000007 kg moves across the electric field 6760 V/m with initial speed 40 m/s. When its x coordinate is 93.3 cm, its y coordinate is (in cm).
Matt21

Homework Statement

On the diagram, a charged particle of charge 0.000003 C and mass 0.000007 kg moves across the
electric field 6760 V/m with initial speed 40 m/s. When its x coordinate is 93.3 cm, its y coordinate is (in cm)?

Homework Equations

y=(e*Em*x^2)/(2*m*v^2), where Em is electric field, m is mass and v is speed.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equation given, I plugged in all the variables y=(0.000003*6760*93.3)/(2*0.000007*40^2) which gave me 7881 which is not correct. What am I doing wrong? Should I be plugging the charge of an electron (1.60*10^-19)? I'm almost positive this is the equation I need to use to figure it out. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    6.7 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
Matt21 said:
y=(0.000003*6760*93.3)/(2*0.000007*40^2)
Your units do not match. ##E## is in V/m and ##v_{0}## is in m/s but your distance ##x## is in cm.

NFuller said:
Your units do not match. ##E## is in V/m and ##v_{0}## is in m/s but your distance ##x## is in cm.
Do I need to use distance x in m and then convert my answer for y back to cm? Because I've already done that and it still gives me the wrong answer. y=(0.000003*6760*0.933)/(2*0.000007*40^2)

Last edited:
Matt21 said:
Do I need to use distance x in m and then convert my answer for y back to cm?
Yes, what was your answer when you did this?

The answer I got was 0.788m which is 78.8cm. It says this is incorrect which doesn't make sense.

This is the correct answer. Is this a computer generated answer or is it written in your textbook?

It is an online prelab question I need to answer. Maybe it has to do with significant figures?

Matt21 said:
It is an online prelab question I need to answer.
Make sure there isn't some strange formatting issue which is causing the computer to reject your answer, such as having the units being entered a certain way. If you are sure this isn't the case then you should bring this to the attention of your professor. Its not uncommon for these programs to occasionally be programmed with a wrong answer.

Okay sounds good. Thank you very much for your help.

Matt21 said:
Maybe it has to do with significant figures?
Good point actually. The lowest number of sig figs in the numbers they gave you is one. If the program is checking sig figs then your answer should be 80cm.

Related to Y coordinate of a charged particle

1. What is the Y coordinate of a charged particle?

The Y coordinate of a charged particle is the vertical position of the particle within a given coordinate system. It is one of the three dimensions (X, Y, and Z) used to describe the location of the particle.

2. How is the Y coordinate of a charged particle measured?

The Y coordinate of a charged particle can be measured using a variety of techniques such as tracking devices, detectors, and imaging systems. These methods use different principles, such as electric or magnetic fields, to determine the position of the particle.

3. What factors can affect the Y coordinate of a charged particle?

The Y coordinate of a charged particle can be affected by the strength and direction of electric or magnetic fields, as well as the velocity and mass of the particle. Other factors, such as collisions with other particles or interactions with the environment, can also influence the Y coordinate.

4. How does the Y coordinate of a charged particle relate to its trajectory?

The Y coordinate of a charged particle is one of the parameters that determines the trajectory of the particle. The trajectory is the path that the particle follows due to the forces acting on it, and the Y coordinate helps to describe this path in the vertical direction.

5. Can the Y coordinate of a charged particle change over time?

Yes, the Y coordinate of a charged particle can change over time due to various factors such as external forces, interactions with other particles, and changes in the environment. This change in position can also affect the trajectory and behavior of the particle.