Year off from school OR Community College?

In summary: I can afford it. In summary, the individual is currently living in Tijuana, Mexico but is a native of San Diego. They are considering going back to San Diego for college, but are unsure if they will be charged as an out of state student. They have learned that they can take the SAT exam after graduating high school and are wondering if they should take a gap year to study for the exam or attend community college and then transfer. They are also unsure if they can take the SAT/ACT while in community college. The conversation also includes advice to establish California residency and the possibility of cross-enrolling in classes at a university while attending community college. The individual expresses concern about being stuck at a community college and the difficulty of transferring
Etienne
Hi guys, I'm about to be a senior in High School, in Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico.

I am a San Diego native, but I currently live in Tijuana. I want to go back to San Diego to major in Physics, but I'm afraid that if I try to go straight into a university, I might get charged "out of state" even though I was raised in San Diego.

I recently read that I can take the SAT examn AFTER graduating High School. If this is true... is it convenient for me to take a year off from school after High School, move back to SD (with family) and study for the SAT, then applying to a university?

OR

Is it a better idea to attend a Community College right after High School, and try to transfer?

Can I take the SAT/ACT examns while in a community college?

HELP :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You can take the SAT/ACT whenever you want.

Be warned about starting at a community college, you might find it actually difficult to transfer that way.

Did you ever give up your California residency? Did you get a Mexican driver licenses, register to vote there ect, nit pay cally taxes on money earned, ect?

Um, nope. At least about my residency, I'm not sure... I get mail to my aunt's adress.
As far as voting, driving, money, etc. None of that, I'm still under age.

It is very useful to know this about the SAT... definitely gets my hopes up!

I'm affraid of being 'stuck' in a community college, so It seems this option is better, :) thanks!

Etienne said:
Um, nope. At least about my residency, I'm not sure... I get mail to my aunt's adress.
As far as voting, driving, money, etc. None of that, I'm still under age.

It is very useful to know this about the SAT... definitely gets my hopes up!

I'm affraid of being 'stuck' in a community college, so It seems this option is better, :) thanks!

Most schools like UCSD won't take transfer students unless you're at the junior level, you could still apply as a freshman after a year of CC but I'm not sure of you'd be given credit for your course work.

There's a chance your residency may still be California, you should go get a California drivers licenses and register to vote/draft there (if your male) as soon as possible. Applications for fall 2015 is coming up soon(if not already) if you plan on going to UC. They don't take mid year applications. You might want to talk to your folks about your plans now, and call the admissions office for further guidance.

Take act/sat as soon as feasible. You can always take them again later.

Thank you so much :)
I've mentioned my plans to my parents, mostly my mom... but now I got to break it doen for them. Thanks again, I'll start seeing into all that

Its only hard to transfer from a cc if you go for the wrong reasons. Ie hangout with the idiots on campus instead of studying, partying all the time, n taking teachers that give out easy A's thereby nrver challenging yourself intellectually.

It will be cheaper going to a cc, you get accustomed to college work, and it allows you chance to really think about your major.

Likes 1 person
Community colleges can be really good for building-up your academic credits before admission to a university. What is wrong with this sequence: (1) Graduate from high school (2) Go to community college to earn most of your important transferable credits (3) apply for admission to university. ?

Would SAT still be needed if doing that route for transfer to a university?

You should just go to community college in my opinion. Southwestern college, for example, has a number of really talented physics professors so if you go there and cross enroll in one class at UCSD or SDSU per semester you will be fine.

Likes 1 person
Yes, I guess that's really what makes it "difficult" to tranfer from a cc to a good university, slackers.
My uncle and godfather both transferred from Southwestern College to Cal Poly SLO and graduated as engineers, although this was in the 90's it is still very possible. If I go to cc, which I think is probably the best now, I will definitely be commited 100%

any thoughts on Southwestern College in comparison to San Diego City College?

Jorriss said:
You should just go to community college in my opinion. Southwestern college, for example, has a number of really talented physics professors so if you go there and cross enroll in one class at UCSD or SDSU per semester you will be fine.

I'm not at all familiar with the term "cross enroll"
anyone? :(

Etienne said:
any thoughts on Southwestern College in comparison to San Diego City College?
Academically no, but it's pretty cool to go to school in downtown as opposed to Chula Vista. I could comment more on Southwestern College, but I didn't go to City so I can't comment as a comparison.

Etienne said:
I'm not at all familiar with the term "cross enroll"
anyone? :(
You can take upto one class at UCSD per semester at the same tuition rate as a community college.

Jorriss said:
You can take upto one class at UCSD per semester at the same tuition rate as a community college.

That sounds awesome, I didn't know this at all! and I have two cousins that go to SWC...

Etienne said:
That sounds awesome, I didn't know this at all! and I have two cousins that go to SWC...

I went to mesa college, wasn't horrible.

What I'm actually trying to warn you about by taking classes at a CC for one year is that you will still need to apply to university as a freshman. Your credits may or may not be accepted that way. I don't know.

What I do know is that to be a transfer student around here in SD you need to be at the junior level.

Alright, that would be ok with me... I don't mind having to "start over" again, as a freshman as long as I actually get into the school I want,

FAQ: Year off from school OR Community College?

1. Can taking a year off from school or attending community college affect my career prospects?

Taking a year off from school or attending community college can actually have a positive impact on your career prospects. It allows you to gain real-world experience, explore different career paths, and develop valuable skills that can make you stand out to potential employers.

2. Will taking a year off from school or attending community college delay my graduation?

It depends on how you plan to spend your time off. If you use the time to work or travel, it may delay your graduation. However, if you use the time to take courses at a community college, you may be able to transfer those credits back to your original institution and still graduate on time.

3. Is it common for students to take a year off from school or attend community college?

Yes, it is becoming increasingly common for students to take a year off from school or attend community college. Many students do this to save money, gain experience, or figure out their academic or career interests.

4. How do I decide if taking a year off from school or attending community college is right for me?

It's important to carefully consider your reasons for wanting to take a year off or attend community college. Think about your goals and what you hope to gain from the experience. It may also be helpful to speak with a guidance counselor or academic advisor for personalized advice.

5. Will my credits from community college transfer to a 4-year university?

This depends on the specific university and their transfer policies. It's important to research and communicate with the universities you are interested in to see if they accept transfer credits from community colleges. Some universities have partnerships with community colleges to make the transfer process smoother.