Yet another should I study physics? , thread

In summary, Adapt discusses the pros and cons of studying physics, and concludes that it is a very tough subject. However, if you like math and want to learn more about the universe, physics is a great choice.
Adapt
Yet another "should I study physics?", thread

Hello folks,

First, since this is my first post on the forums, a short introduction. I'm a 23 year old student (pharmacy - 5 years to go!) living in the Netherlands.

As far as I can remember I have been fascinated by astronomy & physics (science in general). I grew up reading about Sagan & Feynman's love for the subjects and they really made an impression on me.

Recently, I've been thinking about going to Toronto where I spent my teenage years, to study physics/astronomy. I've been researching if this is would be wise move and frankly I've read quite a few negative posts, which surprised me...

I also have big chance to get into medical school in the following year, here in the Netherlands (keep in mind it's at least 6-8 yrs long here).

I love how physics is so useful, it explains nature, it's very practical & I'm just fascinated by astronomy. I've taken university level astronomy before & I can tell you I'll just be sitting in class with a clown smile on my face.

So, I'm sitting here facing these potential career paths - I was about to give it all up & go back to Toronto to follow IMO, the "true" science, physics. My question is... is this sober thinking? Am I making a horrible mistake?

I appreciate any & all input. It's late at night here so I apologize for any grammatical/spelling errors that I might have made!

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF, Adapt!

I'm going to use an analogy from another frequent poster here - twofish-quant. This analogy is about books like Sagan's. (I'll comment on Feynman later.)

Reading about physics in books like Sagan's is like looking at photographs taken at the top of Mt Everest. So you look at the pictures and think, Oh wow, those pictures are so beautiful! I really really want to climb mountains!

But here's what you have to realize: those pictures tell you *nothing* about what it's like to climb a mountain. They don't tell you about the struggle to keep water from freezing, or what to do if you have to poop while you're on a rope crossing an ice field, or the boredom of being in a tiny tent with three other climbers (who smell really bad) as you wait for the weather to clear.

Studying physics is not like those books you read. It's really really tough. Do you like math? You are in for an unpleasant surprise if you don't. I know I sound harsh, but we get a lot of people here posting that they love Hawking's books, so why does algebra have to be so hard?

But...you like Feynman. That's a good sign that you may truly like physics. You still have to really like math, though.

My advice: unhook the move to Toronto from your physics ambitions - those are two different issues. You can find out if you really want to go down the physics path without moving. First, start taking math classes to see if you can do well. Then take some physics classes.

As far as regrets, I only know the job market in the US. Pharmacy and/or med school = no problem finding employment. Physics = a lot more struggle finding employment, especially if you are geographically constrained.

Thanks for the welcome, Lisab!

I understand what you mean. To answer your question, I do like math and eventhough I say it myself, I think I'm good at it. In my free-time I still mess around with a university borrowed calculus book :).

That's the thing I like about physics very much, being able to make ' calculate' nature's ways & find out what it does, make graphs (we have lots of math in pharmacy as well - though not nearly as much as physics, of course) etc.

I have thought about taking physics here in the Netherlands - but it is much more expensive here & I prefer to take it in English...

What worries me, is like you said, the employment status. 4 years down the road, will I regret not taking the opportunity to become a physician/pharmacist because the job market will be so bad for physicists?

I realize now that this should have been posted in Academic Guidance, I apologize. Can a mod move this to the correct forum please?

Hello there,

First of all, let me say that it is great to hear about your passion for physics and astronomy. These are fascinating fields of study that have captivated many people, including myself. I can understand your dilemma about choosing between studying physics or pursuing a career in medicine. Both are challenging and rewarding paths, and it's important to weigh your options carefully before making a decision.

In terms of studying physics, I would say that it is definitely a worthwhile pursuit. Physics is the foundation of all sciences and it has a wide range of applications in various industries. It also helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and the workings of the universe. Plus, as you mentioned, it is a practical field that can lead to many career opportunities. If you have a genuine interest and aptitude for physics, then I would definitely encourage you to pursue it.

However, it's also important to consider the practical aspects of studying physics. It can be a challenging and demanding field, and you may need to put in a lot of time and effort to excel in it. It's also worth noting that the job market for physicists may not be as abundant as some other fields, so it's important to have a plan for how you will use your degree after graduation. But if you are passionate about physics and willing to put in the work, then it can be a very fulfilling and rewarding career path.

As for pursuing a career in medicine, it is also a noble and important profession. However, it is a long and rigorous journey, as you mentioned. It's important to consider if you have the dedication and passion for this field as well. If you do, then it can be a very fulfilling career that allows you to make a positive impact on people's lives.

Ultimately, the decision between studying physics and pursuing medicine is a personal one that only you can make. My advice would be to take some time to reflect on your interests, strengths, and goals, and see which path aligns best with them. You can also speak to professionals in both fields and get a better understanding of what each entails. Whichever path you choose, make sure it is something that you are passionate about and will bring you fulfillment in the long run.

Best of luck in your decision-making process. I'm sure you will make the right choice.

Related to Yet another should I study physics? , thread

What is physics?

Physics is the scientific study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the physical world.

Why should I study physics?

Studying physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities, from research and development to engineering and technology. It also helps develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are applicable in various fields.

Is physics a difficult subject to study?

Physics can be challenging, but with dedication and hard work, anyone can understand and excel in it. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and a curious mindset to fully grasp the concepts.

What can I expect to learn in a physics course?

In a physics course, you can expect to learn about topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. You will also learn how to use mathematical equations to describe and predict the behavior of physical systems.

How can studying physics benefit me in everyday life?

Studying physics can help you understand how the world works and make informed decisions in various situations. It can also improve your problem-solving skills and teach you to think critically, which are valuable skills in any aspect of life.