Yet more Trig. (Mine shaft angle of inclination.)

In summary, the angle of inclination in a mine shaft is calculated to determine the steepness of the slope, for safety and efficiency purposes. It can be measured using tools such as a clinometer or digital inclinometer, and can be affected by factors like the type of ore, geological structure, and machinery. The angle can have a significant impact on the mining process, and in some cases, it can be adjusted using specialized equipment. However, it is often determined by the natural structure of the mine and cannot be altered.
Medgirl314

Homework Statement

A mine shaft is 320 m in length and descends 74 meters. Find the angle of inclination.

Homework Equations

sin=opp/adj

The Attempt at a Solution

inverse sine=42/320
inverse sine*.231=13.37 degrees.

The answer seems conceivable.

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it the 42 is a typo. The answer looks right.

Yup. Oops! Thank you!

Related to Yet more Trig. (Mine shaft angle of inclination.)

1. What is the purpose of calculating the angle of inclination in a mine shaft?

The angle of inclination in a mine shaft is calculated to determine the steepness of the slope or decline in the shaft. This information is important for safety and efficiency in mining operations.

2. How is the angle of inclination measured in a mine shaft?

The angle of inclination can be measured using various tools such as a clinometer or a digital inclinometer. These tools use the principles of trigonometry to measure the angle between the horizontal and the slope of the mine shaft.

3. What factors can affect the angle of inclination in a mine shaft?

The angle of inclination in a mine shaft can be affected by several factors, including the type of ore being mined, the geological structure of the mine, and the type of machinery being used. Additionally, the angle may change over time due to erosion or shifting of the earth's surface.

4. How does the angle of inclination affect the mining process?

The angle of inclination can have a significant impact on the mining process. A steeper slope may require more powerful machinery to transport materials, while a gentler slope may be more suitable for certain types of mining techniques. The angle can also affect the speed and efficiency of the mining process.

5. Can the angle of inclination be adjusted in a mine shaft?

In some cases, the angle of inclination in a mine shaft can be adjusted using specialized equipment. This can be done to improve safety, increase efficiency, or adapt to changes in the mine's structure. However, in many cases, the angle is determined by the natural structure of the mine and cannot be altered.