Young child’s interest in space

mtgrb
How did you find PF?
Internet search
I am the mother of a 6 year old who has been asking questions such as, “What caused the Big Bang?” and “What causes a star to lose its gas and become a black hole?” since he was 4. His curiosity is now focused on black holes, the concept of white holes and worm holes, and the expanding universe. He recently overheard someone refer to space as having a kind of consciousness and remarked that he found that idea very interesting. I’m trying to gently support his interest by watching pertinent videos from reputable sources, seeing planetarium shows, and reading astronomy books. He just finished kindergarten where they only taught addition and subtraction but at home I also taught him multiplication and division, as well as beginning physics principles. I joined this forum to find guidance on how to support him. I am aware that his comfort with abstract thinking is beyond his years and his skills.

Likes berkeman, fresh_42 and PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome: !

Just a hint. Please note your questions as "B" for basic and a note like "explain it to my 6-year-old son" could be helpful, too. I say this to avoid complications. This site is heavily moderated and people normally assume to have students asking. That results in demands like "show your work", "where have you read this", or in complicated answers at the university level.

Such an assumption - as condemnable as it is - will lead to unnecessary misunderstandings in your case. Let me know (via private message) if you get into that kind of trouble so I can help.

By the way, I find it admirable what you are doing! Stay curious - you and your son :smile: !

Welcome to PF.

mtgrb said:
How did you find PF?: Internet search

He recently overheard someone refer to space as having a kind of consciousness and remarked that he found that idea very interesting. I’m trying to gently support his interest by watching pertinent videos from reputable sources, seeing planetarium shows, and reading astronomy books. He just finished kindergarten where they only taught addition and subtraction but at home I also taught him multiplication and division, as well as beginning physics principles. I joined this forum to find guidance on how to support him. I am aware that his comfort with abstract thinking is beyond his years and his skills.

Please be careful using Pop Science videos and references. It is a difficult situation for you trying to encourage your young child's curiousity, versus instilling really wrong concepts and information. Please use our Insights Blog as a more valid reference area (the articles are not peer-reviewed, but they are vetted a bit by our senior PF members), as opposed to YouTube videos. Here is an Insights article that discusses the issues with Pop Sci articles...

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/opinion-when-pro-scientists-explain-using-pop-science/

Allow me to add the small suggestion that at that age being fed a stream of correct answers is perhaps not as important as being encouraged to keep asking questions, coming up with possible answers to these questions himself, and then again ask critical questions about those answers, possibly garnered with some fun kitchen/backyard experiments when possible and relevant. Learning and enjoying this process is in a way the key to knowledge far more than "simple" answers are.

Likes fresh_42, Bystander and BillTre