Young Tableux and representation theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Young diagrams/Tableuxs for deducing the representation theory of Lie groups other than SU(N). The speaker mentions their familiarity with using this method for SU(N) and groups that can be split into tensor copies, but expresses uncertainty about using it for SO(7). They also suggest the book "Lie Groups" by Daniel Bump as a reference for further information.
Haelfix
Science Advisor
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you have a good references to the use of Young diagrams/Tableuxs specifically to deduce the representation theory of various Lie groups *other than SU(N)*

I know how it works for SU(N) and those groups that can be split into tensor copies theoreof, but I have no idea how to use them for say SO(7) (and I am pretty sure it can be done).

I know how to find the reps using root/weight systems, but Young diagrams are so much easier to use imo.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try the book by Daniel Bump, Lie Groups, Springer, 2000, e.g. see the detailed discussion of SO(9) on p. 263.

Thank you for your question! Young tableux and representation theory are definitely powerful tools for understanding the structure of Lie groups and their representations. While they are commonly used for SU(N) groups, they can also be applied to other Lie groups such as SO(7).

One reference that I would recommend for understanding the use of Young tableux in representation theory is the book "Lie Groups, Lie Algebras, and Representations: An Elementary Introduction" by Brian C. Hall. This book provides a clear and comprehensive explanation of how to use Young tableux to deduce the representation theory of various Lie groups, including SO(7).

Another helpful resource is the paper "Young's Tableaux and the Representation Theory of the Classical Groups" by William Fulton. This paper provides a detailed analysis of the use of Young tableux in representation theory for classical Lie groups, including SO(7).

I hope these references will be useful for you in understanding how to use Young tableux for Lie groups other than SU(N). Good luck in your studies!

Related to Young Tableux and representation theory

1. What is a Young Tableaux?

A Young Tableaux is a graphical representation of a partition of integers, where numbers are arranged in rows and columns in a specific way. It is used to represent symmetries of a given mathematical object, and is an important tool in representation theory.

2. How is Young Tableaux used in representation theory?

In representation theory, Young Tableaux is used to study the symmetries of a mathematical object, such as a group or an algebra. It helps to decompose the object into irreducible components and understand its structure and properties.

3. What is the significance of Young Tableaux in mathematics?

Young Tableaux is a powerful tool in mathematics, particularly in representation theory. It is used to study group actions, symmetric functions, and other mathematical objects. It also has applications in physics, computer science, and other fields.

4. How are Young Tableaux related to Schur-Weyl duality?

Schur-Weyl duality is a fundamental concept in representation theory that relates the symmetries of a group with the symmetries of a vector space. Young Tableaux play a crucial role in this duality by providing a combinatorial way to understand the decomposition of the tensor product of two representations.

5. What are some real-life applications of Young Tableaux and representation theory?

Young Tableaux and representation theory have various applications in different fields, such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. They are used to study crystal symmetries, molecular vibrations, and quantum mechanics, among others. In computer science, they are used in coding theory and pattern recognition algorithms.