Young'a double slit experiment

In summary, the conversation discussed a question about a double-slit experiment with blue light of wavelength 4.60*10^2 nm and a second order maximum at location P on the screen. The question asked for the wavelength of visible light that would result in a minimum at P. The equation for maximums and minimums in a double-slit experiment was discussed, and the process of solving for the wavelength of visible light was explained. Ultimately, it was determined that a wavelength of approximately 600 nm would result in a minimum at P.
kokok

Homework Statement

in a double-slit experiment, blue light of wavelength 4.60*10^2 nm gives a second order maximum or CI at a certain location P on the screen. what wavelength of visible light would have a minimum or DI at P?

Homework Equations

x=(l*lamda)/separation

The Attempt at a Solution

I dun get it at all

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation for double slit experiments when it is a maximum is
sin A=m(wavelength)/d. The equation for minimums is
sin A=(m+0.5)(wavelength)/d. Where A is the angle from where the observer will look at the spot on the screen. M is the "order" of the spots, whether it be max or min. d is the distance between the slits. Put all the constants on one side, which will be the sin A and d. Simple math and equating the equations together will get you the correct answer.

The question is a bit of vague, since it does not say what order is the minimum.

21385 said:
The equation for double slit experiments when it is a maximum is
sin A=m(wavelength)/d. The equation for minimums is
sin A=(m+0.5)(wavelength)/d. Where A is the angle from where the observer will look at the spot on the screen. M is the "order" of the spots, whether it be max or min. d is the distance between the slits. Put all the constants on one side, which will be the sin A and d. Simple math and equating the equations together will get you the correct answer.

The question is a bit of vague, since it does not say what order is the minimum.

i don't know it was nelson's textbook chapter 9 review Qs

21385 said:
But it does say visible light.

lol, i missed that ;)

21385 said:
lol, i missed that ;)

um..how should i start it...

How should i start it!?><

well, just follow the instructions in my previous post

move the constants to one side for both equations and equate the other sides together.

m1(wavelength1)=(m2+0.5)(wavelength2)
you know that m1 is 2 and wavelength1 is 4.60*10^2 nm.
Now try different values for m2 that will result in a wavelength that's between 400 to 700 nm. (visible light)

oh, so when i replaced m2 to 1, i got about 600nm..i think thatz the answer.

Related to Young'a double slit experiment

1. What is the Young's double slit experiment?

The Young's double slit experiment is a famous experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave nature of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen placed behind the slits.

2. What is the purpose of the Young's double slit experiment?

The purpose of the Young's double slit experiment is to demonstrate the wave-particle duality of light. This means that light can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behaviors, and this experiment shows the wave-like behavior of light.

3. What are the key components of the Young's double slit experiment?

The key components of the Young's double slit experiment are a light source, two parallel slits, and a screen. The light source emits a beam of light, which is then passed through the two slits and creates an interference pattern on the screen.

4. How does the Young's double slit experiment prove the wave nature of light?

The Young's double slit experiment proves the wave nature of light by showing the interference pattern on the screen. This pattern can only be explained by the wave-like behavior of light, where the light waves from each slit interfere with each other constructively and destructively to create bright and dark spots on the screen.

5. What are the real-world applications of the Young's double slit experiment?

The Young's double slit experiment has many real-world applications in fields such as optics, telecommunications, and quantum mechanics. It has been used to study the properties of light, to develop new technologies for optical devices, and to understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It has also led to the development of the double-slit electron microscope, which allows scientists to study the behavior of electrons in a similar manner.