Young's Double Slit Experiment (Diffraction)

In summary, the spacing between the locations on either side of the center line between the speakers where no sound is heard due to destructive interference cannot be accurately determined using the given information. A diagram and basic calculations using the distance between points formula may provide possible solutions, but the word "spacing" in the question is unclear and may require further clarification.
jones268
A lecturer is demonstrating two-slit interference with sound waves. Two speakers are used, 1.9 m apart. The sound frequency is 1220Hz and the speed of sound is 343 m/s. Students sit facing the speakers in a row of sear 5.4 m away. Along the row of students, what is the spacing between the locations on either side of the center line between the speakers where no sound is heard because of destructive interference? The angle may be too large to use small angle approximation.
This is what I've come up with my known variables.
d=1.9m (Distance between the two "slits"
f=1220 Hz
c=343 m/s
L=5.4m (distance from "slits" to the "screen")
y=? unknown spacing
And I'm also assuming I'll be using the formula for dark fringe due to the fact they want
the spacing where no sound will be heard.
I've also calculated the wavelength, λ, to be 0.281147541 m from the following equation:
λ= c/f

The equation I'm using for dark fringe is as follows:
(m + 1/2)(λ)=(d)(sinθ)
Then to find the unknown y, I was using the following equation:
y=(L)(tanθ)

I'm not quite sure where to go from here and if I'm even doing this right, especially due to theta being too large to approximate.

Physics news on Phys.org
A very interesting question, Jones. You certainly can't use L = 5.4. In the formula L is actually the distance from the slits to the point on the "screen" you are interested in. Usually it is approximately the same as the perpendicular distance from slits to screen, but certainly not this time. You might get away with using (n+½)λ = d*sin(θ) but I doubt it. I would start with the diagram
speakers.jpg

and work it out from basics. Say that the red distance is ½λ more than the blue distance; use the distance between points formula for those distances. More solutions for n + ½λ.

I get 2 solutions for n = 0, one at about x = 0.6 and the other at about x = -2.
I don't trust the negative value. Rather, the left side should be worked out on the basis of symmetry with the right side. Now I wonder about the word "spacing" in the question. Surely they will not be equally spaced? Perhaps they do want some kind of approximation based on the formula.

Last edited:

FAQ: Young's Double Slit Experiment (Diffraction)

What is Young's Double Slit Experiment?

Young's Double Slit Experiment is a classical experiment in optics that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves passing a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the interference pattern that is created on a screen behind the slits.

What is diffraction in the context of Young's Double Slit Experiment?

Diffraction is the bending of waves, such as light, around obstacles or through narrow openings. In Young's Double Slit Experiment, the light waves passing through the two slits diffract and interfere with each other, creating a distinct pattern on the screen behind the slits.

What does the interference pattern in Young's Double Slit Experiment tell us about the nature of light?

The interference pattern in Young's Double Slit Experiment demonstrates that light behaves like a wave, as it exhibits properties such as diffraction and interference. This supports the wave theory of light, which states that light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that travels in the form of waves.

What factors affect the interference pattern in Young's Double Slit Experiment?

The interference pattern in Young's Double Slit Experiment can be affected by the wavelength of the light, the distance between the two slits, and the distance between the slits and the screen. These factors can alter the diffraction and interference of the light waves, resulting in a different pattern on the screen.

What practical applications does Young's Double Slit Experiment have?

Young's Double Slit Experiment has practical applications in the field of optics and imaging. It is used to determine the wavelength of light, as well as to improve the resolution of microscopes and telescopes. It also helps in understanding the behavior of light in other experiments, such as the single slit diffraction experiment.