Young's Double Slit Experiment Problem

In summary: So in summary, the spacing between the locations on either side of the center line where no sound is heard due to destructive interference is 0.358 m.
jones268
A lecturer is demonstrating two-slit interference with sound waves. Two speakers are used, 1.9 m apart. The sound frequency is 1220Hz and the speed of sound is 343 m/s. Students sit facing the speakers in a row of sear 5.4 m away. Along the row of students, what is the spacing between the locations on either side of the center line between the speakers where no sound is heard because of destructive interference? The angle may be too large to use small angle approximation.
This is what I've come up with my known variables.
d=1.9m (Distance between the two "slits"
f=1220 Hz
c=343 m/s
L=5.4m (distance from "slits" to the "screen")
y=? unknown spacing
And I'm also assuming I'll be using the formula for dark fringe due to the fact they want
the spacing where no sound will be heard.
I've also calculated the wavelength, λ, to be 0.281147541 m from the following equation:
λ= c/f

The equation I'm using for dark fringe is as follows:
(m + 1/2)(λ)=(d)(sinθ)
Then to find the unknown y, I was using the following equation:
y=(L)(tanθ)

I'm not quite sure where to go from here and if I'm even doing this right, especially due to theta being too large to approximate.

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation for dark fringe can be rearranged to solve for θ: θ = arcsin((m+1/2)*λ/d)Then you can use this expression for θ in the second equation to solve for y: y = L*tan(arcsin((m+1/2)*λ/d))Where m is the order of the dark fringe (in this case, it should be 0 since we are looking for the spacing between locations on either side of the center line). Plugging in the known variables, y = 5.4 * tan(arcsin((0 + 1/2)*0.281147541/1.9)) y = 0.358 m

FAQ: Young's Double Slit Experiment Problem

1. What is Young's Double Slit Experiment Problem?

Young's Double Slit Experiment Problem is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through a barrier with two small slits and observing the interference pattern that is produced on a screen behind the barrier.

2. What is the purpose of the experiment?

The purpose of the experiment is to demonstrate that light behaves as both a wave and a particle. By observing the interference pattern that is produced, it shows that light behaves like a wave by exhibiting interference, but also behaves like a particle by hitting the screen at specific points.

3. What does the experiment tell us about light?

The experiment tells us that light exhibits properties of both a wave and a particle. It behaves like a wave by exhibiting interference patterns, but also behaves like a particle by hitting the screen at specific points. This phenomenon is known as wave-particle duality.

4. What factors affect the interference pattern in the experiment?

The interference pattern in the experiment is affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the light, the distance between the slits, and the distance between the slits and the screen. These factors can alter the spacing of the interference pattern and the intensity of the light at different points on the screen.

5. How is the Young's Double Slit Experiment Problem relevant in modern science?

The Young's Double Slit Experiment Problem is relevant in modern science because it provides evidence for the wave-particle duality of light, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. This experiment has also been replicated and expanded upon in various fields of study, such as electron diffraction and interferometry, further confirming the wave-particle duality of matter. It also has practical applications in technology, such as in the development of diffraction gratings used in spectroscopy and optical devices.