Young's double-slit interference?

In summary, the conversation discusses a Young's double-slit experiment where a set of parallel slits with a separation of 0.102 mm is illuminated by light with a wavelength of 580 nm. The question asks for the difference in path lengths from the two slits to the location of a second order bright fringe on the screen, and also the difference in path lengths to the location of the second dark fringe on the screen. The solution involves using the equations x/L = λ/d and x= 2λL/d, and the goal is to calculate the differences in path lengths which are comparable to the wavelength. The post also mentions a resource for further understanding of quantum interference with slits.
kimlu

Homework Statement

In a Young's double-slit experiment, a set of parallel slits with a separation of 0.102 mm is illuminated by light having a wavelength of 580 nm and the interference pattern observed on a screen 4.50 m from the slits.
(a) What is the difference in path lengths from the two slits to the location of a second order bright fringe on the screen?
(b) What is the difference in path lengths from the two slits to the location of the second dark fringe on the screen, away from the center of the pattern?

Homework Equations

x/L = λ/d
x= 2λL/d

3. The Attempt at a Solution

2(580E-9)(4.5)/ (.000102)= .051m

I'm supposed to have it in µm and I put 51,176 but I kept getting the question wrong, what am i doing wrong?
Also for the second part I am confused on fringes since its the 2nd dark fringe does that mean the 2nd fringe that is dark which is between the 1st and 2nd order bright or a dark fringe that is 2 which is between the 3rd and 4th order bright. Am i even thinking about this the right way, each dark fringe is 1/2λ correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You calculated the distance between things on the screen (and got the conversion m -> µm wrong), that's not what you are supposed to calculate.

The differences in path lengths are comparable to the wavelength.

Am i even thinking about this the right way, each dark fringe is 1/2λ correct?
1/2λ is just one option.

thanx

Last edited:
Do a search on "Quantum interference with slits" by Thomas Marcella. It is in arxive.org. It gives a full quantum analysis of the two-slit geometry.

Phil Lawless said:
Do a search on "Quantum interference with slits" by Thomas Marcella. It is in arxive.org. It gives a full quantum analysis of the two-slit geometry.
Be sure to check the date of the post you are replying to... :biggrin:

Related to Young's double-slit interference?

1. What is the Young's double-slit experiment?

The Young's double-slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the phenomenon of interference in light waves. It involves shining a beam of light through two narrow slits and observing the resulting pattern of light and dark fringes on a screen placed behind the slits.

2. How does the Young's double-slit experiment demonstrate interference?

Interference occurs when two or more light waves overlap and either reinforce or cancel each other out. In the Young's double-slit experiment, the two slits act as sources of coherent light waves that interfere with each other, creating a pattern of bright and dark fringes on the screen.

3. What is the significance of the Young's double-slit experiment?

The Young's double-slit experiment is significant because it provided evidence for the wave nature of light, which was a major breakthrough in understanding the properties of light. It also paved the way for the development of quantum mechanics and the concept of wave-particle duality.

4. Can the Young's double-slit experiment be performed with other types of waves?

Yes, the Young's double-slit experiment can be performed with other types of waves, such as sound waves or water waves. In fact, any type of wave that exhibits interference can be used to demonstrate the same principles as the original experiment with light waves.

5. What factors affect the interference pattern in the Young's double-slit experiment?

The interference pattern in the Young's double-slit experiment can be affected by several factors, including the distance between the slits, the wavelength of the light, and the distance between the slits and the screen. Additionally, any changes in the properties of the light source, such as intensity or polarization, can also impact the interference pattern.