Youngs Modulus and Standing Waves combined question

In summary: Then, use the given values for the two wires and the length L2 to find the ratio of the number of loops in the steel wire to the aluminum wire. You can then use this ratio to determine the lowest frequency that will generate a standing wave pattern with the joint as one of the nodes. In summary, to find the lowest frequency that generates a standing wave pattern with the joint as one of the nodes, we can use the linear mass density μ, which can be calculated from the volume mass density ρ and the cross-sectional area A. By considering a section of the wire and finding an expression for the mass in terms of ρ, A, and L, we can then determine the expression for μ. Using the given values for
phoebz
The figure shows an aluminum wire of length L 1 = 60.0 cm, cross-sectional area 1.00 x 10-2 cm2, and density 2600 kg/m3, joined to a steel wire of density 7.80 g/cm3 and the same cross-sectional area. The compound wire, loaded with a block of mass 10.0 kg, is arranged so that the distance L 2from the joint to the supporting pulley is 86.6 cm. Transverse waves are set up on the wire by an external source of variable frequency; a node is located at the pulley. [Hint: You may want to calculate the ratio of the number of loops in the steel compared to the aluminum. Then surmise which numbers will give you the desired lowest frequency.]

-What is the lowest frequency that generates a standing wave pattern that has the joint as one of the nodes?

*Youngs Modulus --> Aluminium: 7x10^10
Steel: 20x10^10 kg/m^3

My Attempt:

Y= (F/A)/(ΔL/L)
-The force put on both strings will be equal so I tried setting the two wire equations equal as
YAΔL/L (for aluminium) = YAΔL/L (for steel)

I was trying to find the length of the other string but I got stumped because I did have the change in length for either string.

I needed the length of each string for the equation μ=mass/length because v=√(F/μ) and frequency equals velocity/λ.

I'm not sure I even knew where I was going with this. Please help!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-03-17 at 6.55.03 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-03-17 at 6.55.03 PM.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 554
Physics news on Phys.org
You can get the linear mass density μ from the volume mass density ρ and the cross-sectional area A. Consider a section of a wire of length L. Can you find an expression (in symbols, not numbers) for the mass of the section in terms of ρ, A, and L? Use this expression for the mass to determine an expression for μ in terms of ρ and A.

Related to Youngs Modulus and Standing Waves combined question

1. What is Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus is a measure of the stiffness or elasticity of a material. It is a constant that relates the stress (force per unit area) applied to a material to the strain (change in length per unit length) that results from the stress.

2. How is Young's Modulus related to standing waves?

In the context of standing waves, Young's Modulus is used to determine the speed of sound in a material. This speed is directly related to the frequency of the standing wave and the wavelength of the wave.

3. What is the formula for calculating Young's Modulus?

The formula for Young's Modulus is E = (stress/strain), where E is the Young's Modulus, stress is the force applied to the material, and strain is the resulting change in length per unit length.

4. How does Young's Modulus affect the behavior of materials?

Young's Modulus influences the amount of deformation that a material experiences when a force is applied. A higher Young's Modulus means that the material is stiffer, and will experience less deformation under a given force. Conversely, a lower Young's Modulus indicates a more flexible material that will experience more deformation under the same force.

5. Can Young's Modulus be changed or modified?

Young's Modulus is an inherent property of a material and cannot be changed or modified. However, it can vary depending on factors such as temperature, stress levels, and impurities in the material. In some cases, certain treatments or processes can alter the Young's Modulus of a material, but this is not a common occurrence.