Young's modulus of a copper wire

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with an experiment involving measuring the Young's modulus of a copper wire. They explain their method of applying weights to the wire and calculating stress and strain. They also mention that their results show a curved graph, which may indicate a mistake in their experiment or that the force applied exceeded the material's elastic limit. They are seeking clarification on the units used in their results.
pizza1512
Hi there! Can anyone help me with a problem.

I did an experiment at school trying to measure the Young's modulus of a copper wire. We attached one end of the copper wire to a clamp and then tied on weights of 100g at a time to the other end so that a force can be applied to the copper wire and so it stretches.

To work out Young's modulus, we require two things: the stress and the strain of the wire.

Stress is [tex]\sigma = \frac{F}{A}[/tex] and strain is [tex]\varepsilon = \frac {\delta \ell}{\ell_o}[/tex] [tex]\frac {change in length}{original length}[/tex].

To work out Stress, I worked out the Force applied on the wire by the weights (using the equation Force = Mass [tex]\times[/tex] Gravitational potential energy) as 0.1kg [tex]\times[/tex] 10 and this in turn produces 1N of force everytime a weight is added. To work out the area of the copper wire, I measured the diameter using a micrometer and this gave me an measurement of d=0.35mm. From this I worked out the cross section of the wire:

[tex]\frac{0.35}{2}[/tex] (to find the radius), then squaring this and multiplying by [tex]\pi[/tex] to obtain the area.

For stress I measured the original length of the wire (337cm) and then measured the extension of the wire and then dividing this by the original length.

My results table is attached.

When I try and plot the graph, I end up with a curved graph so the Young's modulus is not a straight line and so is the not directly proportional. Can anyone help me and tell me what I have done wrong in my experiment or is a curved line correct? Are my results alright?

Thanks

:shy:

Attachments

• Young's.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 579
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your extensions look too big. If your wire is 337 cm (?) then you've permanently stretched it if you got 27cm of stretch. Your table does not show all the units.

If the experimental force stayed within the elastic limit of the material, you would get a straight line.

what are the units?

Related to Young's modulus of a copper wire

What is Young's modulus?

Young's modulus, also known as the elastic modulus, is a measure of the stiffness of a material. It is the ratio of stress to strain in a material, and is typically represented by the symbol E.

What is the Young's modulus of a copper wire?

The Young's modulus of a copper wire varies depending on the composition and manufacturing process of the wire. However, on average, it is approximately 117 GPa (Gigapascals).

How is Young's modulus of a copper wire calculated?

Young's modulus is calculated by dividing the stress by the strain. In the case of a copper wire, the stress can be determined by applying a known force to the wire and measuring the resulting change in length. The strain is then calculated by dividing the change in length by the original length of the wire. This value is then divided by the cross-sectional area of the wire to obtain the Young's modulus.

What factors can affect the Young's modulus of a copper wire?

The Young's modulus of a copper wire can be affected by various factors such as temperature, impurities in the material, and the microstructure of the wire. These factors can alter the elasticity and stiffness of the wire, resulting in a different Young's modulus.

What is the significance of Young's modulus in relation to copper wire?

Young's modulus is an important parameter in material science and engineering, as it helps determine the behavior of a material under stress. In the case of copper wire, the Young's modulus can help predict its strength and flexibility, making it a crucial factor in designing and using copper wire in various applications.