Z-transform for a signal with an unknown sampling rate

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the z-transform for a delayed signal of a ramp function and how to express this delay in the Z-domain. One attempt at a solution is to use the equation X(z) = T*( z / (z-1)^2 )*(z^-ceil(2/T)), where T is the unknown sampling rate and s is the delay in seconds. However, there is uncertainty about the equation's syntax and whether it is mathematically correct. Further help is requested in solving this problem.
mtarek16

Homework Statement

Given a ramp function x(t) = t*heaviside(t) with the known z-transform ( z / (z-1)^2 ).
If the time-domain signal has been delayed by 2 seconds, then sampled with an unknown sampling rate (T). How could I get the z-transform (one-sided) for the discrete signal, for any values of T ?
I guess my question is really how to express that delay in the Z-domain. I have searched a lot and couldn't find any good resources.

Homework Equations

original signal : x(t) = t*heaviside(t) - X(z) = z / (z-1)^2
delayed signal: x(t) = (t-2)*heaviside(t-2) - X(z) = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been trying a lot with this problem. The last (and seemingly to me) the closest I've got is :
X(z) = T*( z / (z-1)^2 )*(z^-s)
where :
s = 2/T if T < 1
s = 2*T if 1<= T < 2
s = T if T >= 2
Of course, if s turns out to be a non-integer value, the solution would be wrong.

Any help on that is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
MT

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Another take :
X(z) = T*( z / (z-1)^2 )*(z^-ceil(s))
where :
s = 2/T if T <= 1
s = T if T > 1

Seems right to me, but is the equation is in an acceptable/correct mathematical form ??

Uh ! I'm sorry, the conditions I wrote are again wrong, here's my final approach :
X(z) = T*( z / (z-1)^2 )*(z^-ceil(2/T))

Again, it seems to me that it's functionally correct, although I'm not sure if it's syntactically correct too.

FAQ: Z-transform for a signal with an unknown sampling rate

1. What is the Z-transform for a signal with an unknown sampling rate?

The Z-transform is a mathematical tool used to analyze signals in the frequency domain. It is particularly useful for signals with an unknown sampling rate because it allows us to analyze the signal without needing to know its specific sampling rate.

2. How is the Z-transform different from the Fourier transform?

The Z-transform is similar to the Fourier transform in that it also converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain. However, the Z-transform is specifically designed for signals with a discrete (or sampled) time domain, while the Fourier transform is used for continuous signals.

3. How do you calculate the Z-transform for a signal with an unknown sampling rate?

The Z-transform can be calculated using a formula that involves taking the sum of the signal values multiplied by a complex exponential function, where the exponent is a function of the sampling rate. This formula is known as the discrete-time Fourier transform (DTFT).

4. Can the Z-transform be used to determine the sampling rate of a signal?

No, the Z-transform cannot determine the sampling rate of a signal. It can only be used to analyze the signal in the frequency domain. To determine the sampling rate, other methods such as signal processing techniques or knowledge of the signal source may be needed.

5. How is the Z-transform used in practical applications?

The Z-transform is commonly used in digital signal processing applications, such as in audio and image processing. It is also used in control systems and in solving differential equations. It allows for the analysis and manipulation of signals in the frequency domain, making it a valuable tool in many scientific and engineering fields.

Back