ZapperZ's Disney Physics Q&A Room

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Spice...or Hot Chili Pepper... differences all you want, but at the end of the day, it's still chili.In summary, the chat will not be happening again on Sunday.
Evo said:
I challenge turbo to a chili throwdown. I make awesome chili! I'm from Texas, home of the Chili Cook Off in Terlingua, Texas. He's from Maine. Pffft.
You are already out of the running, lady! I make chili with habanero, jalapeno, and cayenne chilies, along with some Hungarian wax peppers. You can cite regional variations to claim superiority, but when the judges (actual consumers) get a taste of the product (maybe with some nice pastry biscuits to dip up the sauce), you'll be toast!

Physics news on Phys.org
turbo-1 said:
You are already out of the running, lady! I make chili with habanero, jalapeno, and cayenne chilies, along with some Hungarian wax peppers. You can cite regional variations to claim superiority, but when the judges (actual consumers) get a taste of the product (maybe with some nice pastry biscuits to dip up the sauce), you'll be toast!

But do you use beans?

lisab said:
But do you use beans?
The use of beans in chili is illegal in the state of Texas.

And turbo, hot does not a winner make. :mad:

lisab said:
But do you use beans?
Of course I use beans! The name "chili con carne" means "chili with meat" and people who could not afford meat did not get that option. Chili is properly made with beans. Texans may disagree, but they are wrong about a lot of stuff.

Turbo is dead wrong on this one. :devil:

As in most cases of prejudice, it all comes from pure, simple ignorance. Here in the chili belt, we talk in shorthand sometimes. When we say chili, we really mean chile con carne, which means, literally, chile peppers with meat. Chili with beans would be Chile con carne y frijoles. Border Spanish also has a hand in the prejudices.

The first known instance of "chili" in the US was from San Antonio's "Chili Queens". There are no beans in chili. There are only chile flavored beans. HAH! You do not make real chili!

Evo said:
I think turbo will agree with this article.

http://www.texascooking.com/features/oct2001chiliperformance.htm
I can't get into the whole thing. I have made chili many times without any meat (often couldn't afford it at the time), but could afford black beans, kidney beans, or others. Whenever I could afford meat during that time, I would include it, but would not exclude beans. By the way, "Chili seasoning" is overpriced crap, IMO. Learn to season your own chili dishes and save some $$ in the process.

Kurdt said:
Correct use of English and what a biscuit actually is chat with cristo. *hides*

A-ha, I like the sound of that. u's at the ready, replace those z's with s's (etc..)

I once read a comic strip where the characters wondered about their nationality. After a bit of thought, one shouted out "COLOUR!", and they checked the spelling in the text bubble, thus determining they weren't American.

turbo-1 said:
Of course I use beans! The name "chili con carne" means "chili with meat" and people who could not afford meat did not get that option. Chili is properly made with beans. Texans may disagree, but they are wrong about a lot of stuff.

OH YEAH! Now we're talking. Chili needs beans - pinto beans are best!

*Ducks Evo's laser gaze*

turbo-1 said:
I can't get into the whole thing. I have made chili many times without any meat (often couldn't afford it at the time), but could afford black beans, kidney beans, or others. Whenever I could afford meat during that time, I would include it, but would not exclude beans. By the way, "Chili seasoning" is overpriced crap, IMO. Learn to season your own chili dishes and save some $$ in the process.
Did you read the article? It's short and humorous, you'd like it.

cristo said:
A-ha, I like the sound of that. u's at the ready, replace those z's with s's (etc..)
Ask cristo? That would be fun, you definitely know your grammar.

Hurkyl said:
I once read a comic strip where the characters wondered about their nationality. After a bit of thought, one shouted out "COLOUR!", and they checked the spelling in the text bubble, thus determining they weren't American.
I recently read a post by someone in another forum that was pretending to be American but used British spelling. :devil:

Evo said:
Did you read the article? It's short and humorous, you'd like it.
Yes, I did and thank you.

lisab said:
OH YEAH! Now we're talking. Chili needs beans - pinto beans are best!

*Ducks Evo's laser gaze*
fishslaprk7.gif

Evo said:
fishslaprk7.gif

:smile:

...I'm all...sticky...but at least my chili's good because it has pintos...

lisab said:
:smile:

...I'm all...sticky...but at least my chili's good because it has pintos...
That's called pinto beans. :devil:

Evo said:
All right, I will ask Zz the first question.

Is there an offical food of Disney World?

Turkey Legs and Mickey Premium ice cream.

Zz.

Math Is Hard said:
Here's my question for Zz: Do you think there's any market for an egg poacher that makes Mickey Mouse shaped poached eggs?

YES!

Zz.

Okay, since we have no chat today, I guess I just have to make everyone hungry in this thread.

I cooked up a storm yesterday (first day I was feeling energetic after several days of really feeling under the weather). Since it was raining, I got out the stovetop smoker and made bbq country ribs with that...applewood smoke. MMMMMM...the house still smells lightly of applewood smoke. Makes me want to get the fireplace going (but being a gas fireplace, the only smoke smell will be from the stovetop smoker :rolleyes:). And, I cooked up some Puerto Rican style beans and rice. A small pot of pasta sauce was made to use up the partial can of tomatoes I had leftover (with another can added to it). And, I made a roasted squash soup seasoned with curry and with some apple added which really brightens the flavor. I was a bit nervous about that, because I already started cooking when I realized the recipe called for sherry, and I didn't have any. I substituted madeira wine and kept my fingers crossed it wouldn't be the wrong flavor. The substitution worked...the soup is delicious! I'm about to have some of that for lunch now.

I'm glad I have lots of food for the week now. It is snowing today...ick! When I woke up, it was just a light flurry, hardly worth counting as snow, but it is now more officially a flurry. I hope it doesn't get any worse though. It's common for us to get a snowfall in late November, but I want it to wait until my week off! This is going to be a killer week. 8 hour days on my feet because I'm lecturing in BOTH classes I teach, plus both classes have labs. So, no breaks when I can just sit down while someone else lectures in those courses. That's the other reason I cooked so much this weekend, so I can just toss pre-made meals into the microwave to reheat when I'm too dead on my feet to do anything else when I get home.

Evo said:
I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but there will be no chat again Sunday.

:cry::cry::cry:

MB, when I got up it looked like it had snowed on the cars and garbage cans outside. It was ash from the fires!
Snow sounds so nice. It was 90 degrees F here yesterday.

I suggest Sting Ray Discussions with Steve Irwin. Oh wait...

Math Is Hard said:
MB, when I got up it looked like it had snowed on the cars and garbage cans outside. It was ash from the fires!
Quite a few years ago, my friend opened the patio door to let their black cat in, and an all-gray cat ran past him into the house. Then he looked around to see that everything was gray, thanks to Mt. St Helen.

turbo-1 said:
Quite a few years ago, my friend opened the patio door to let their black cat in, and an all-gray cat ran past him into the house. Then he looked around to see that everything was gray, thanks to Mt. St Helen.

Wow! It hasn't gotten quite that bad yet!

Sure takes a long time to reload this thread using dial-up. Not so good for chat. What's happened with chat anyway.

SticksandStones said:
I suggest Sting Ray Discussions with Steve Irwin.

Speaking of stringray, one of the restaurants that I wanted to being Moonbie to when she was here in Chicago last time was a Malaysia restaurant called Penang (it's a chain and they have several restaurants all over the US, including 3 or 4 in NYC). My most favorite dish there is this grilled fish dish in which you can choose the type of fish, and one of the option is sting ray, which I always get. They have a large piece of sting ray covered with a paste filled with Malaysian spices, and then it is wrapped in banana leave and grilled. It is amazing!

Alas, we didn't have time to go that time, so that will have to be one of the first place we will have to go when she comes back.

Zz.

Evo said:
fishslaprk7.gif

Ahahahahaha...I love that emoticon.

ZapperZ said:
YES!

Zz.

Does you have this egg poacher? o:)

ZapperZ said:
Speaking of stringray, one of the restaurants that I wanted to being Moonbie to when she was here in Chicago last time was a Malaysia restaurant called Penang (it's a chain and they have several restaurants all over the US, including 3 or 4 in NYC). My most favorite dish there is this grilled fish dish in which you can choose the type of fish, and one of the option is sting ray, which I always get. They have a large piece of sting ray covered with a paste filled with Malaysian spices, and then it is wrapped in banana leave and grilled. It is amazing!

YUM! I'll take two!

~christina~ said:
Does you have this egg poacher? o:)

Not yet. I'm waiting for MIH to start selling it.

Zz.

Math Is Hard said:

Yes, I definitely prefer snowstorms over firestorms. :bugeye:

We've upgraded from flurry to full snowstorm now. But, it's still too warm for it to stick. I don't mind watching snow fall if there isn't any to shovel off the driveway. :approve:

ZapperZ said:

Alas, we didn't have time to go that time, so that will have to be one of the first place we will have to go when she comes back.

Zz.

Ooh, or I'll have to find one of the ones in NYC since I get there more often. Since I don't get to Chicago very often, I need to prioritize the restaurants that I can't find in other cities. I still never got to try Chicago pizza casserole...:rolleyes:...I mean deep dish pizza. :biggrin: Or, I can always get different dishes when in NYC than in Chicago.

ZapperZ said:
Not yet. I'm waiting for MIH to start selling it.

Zz.

I'm surprised they don't already sell one.

Moonbear said:
Ooh, or I'll have to find one of the ones in NYC since I get there more often. Since I don't get to Chicago very often, I need to prioritize the restaurants that I can't find in other cities. I still never got to try Chicago pizza casserole...:rolleyes:...I mean deep dish pizza. :biggrin: Or, I can always get different dishes when in NYC than in Chicago.

The one in NYC that I've been to is on Elizabeth street in Chinatown in lower Manhattan. However, unless you know what you're ordering, the menu will be quite overwhelming, and you may end up ordering standard chinese dishes rather than malaysian dishes. So you'll need me no matter what! :) :) :)

Zz.

Moonbear said:
I'm surprised they don't already sell one.
Or at least a really low-tech form for scrambled eggs. I used to use a tuna can with both ends cut out as a form to make round-shaped scrambled eggs that fit nicely with my Canadian bacon on toasted English muffins. There are probably already metal Mickey-shaped cookie cutters on the market that could do the same job - just put it in a preheated greased skillet and dump in the scrambled eggs.

ZapperZ said:
The one in NYC that I've been to is on Elizabeth street in Chinatown in lower Manhattan. However, unless you know what you're ordering, the menu will be quite overwhelming, and you may end up ordering standard chinese dishes rather than malaysian dishes. So you'll need me no matter what! :) :) :)

Zz.
Okay, okay, I won't deprive you of an excuse to go to that restaurant next time I visit. :biggrin: