Zeiss Terra ED 10x42 Binos for stargazing?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Doc Al
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stargazing
In summary: The message is "it depends" so it certainly doesn't mean you shouldn't buy a nice pair of binos. (at a good price)In summary, the Zeiss Terra ED 10x42 binoculars are marketed for birdwatchers, so they may not be the best choice for simple sky/star watching. They have a small exit pupil, so it is hard to see faint objects well. They are difficult to hold
Doc Al
Mentor
Any opinions about the Zeiss Terra ED 10x42 binoculars? OK for simple stargazing? (I have an opportunity to get them very cheap.) They are marketed for birdwatchers, so not sure if they'd be a good choice for simple sky/star watching.

(As should be obvious, I am very much an amateur.)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
For stargazing, you want the exit pupil to fill your dark-adapted pupil, which is about 7mm in diameter. This will give you the maximum light gathering ability. The exit pupil is the diameter of the objective divided by the magnification, so 4.2 mm in this case. So you will not see faint objects as well as with, for example, 7x50 binoculars. Also, with 10X magnification, it is hard to hold them steady unless you have them on a tripod. I have a pair of 11x80 binoculars, and I need to rest them on something to really see a good image that isn't dancing around.

Having said all that, I'm sure you'd still see a lot of cool stuff with these binoculars, so if you have a chance to pick them up cheap, go for it!

Likes berkeman, Bandersnatch and Doc Al
phyzguy said:
For stargazing, you want the exit pupil to fill your dark-adapted pupil, which is about 7mm in diameter.

I am 57. About 10 years ago, I went into an astronomy store and told an employee that, because of the size of exit pupil, I was considering 7x50s. Employee's blunt response: "You're too old for 7x50s." His point: because of my age, the size of my dark-adapted pupil mas probably less than 7 mm. Still, a 4.2 mm exit pupil i a bit small.

phyzguy said:
Also, with 10X magnification, it is hard to hold them steady unless you have them on a tripod. I have a pair of 11x80 binoculars, and I need to rest them on something to really see a good image that isn't dancing around.

The steadiness of the view is a function of both magnification and weight. The larger the magnification, the more every shake is enhanced. The heavier the bins, the harder they are to hold steady. I suspect that your 11x80s are heavier than the 10x42s.

phyzguy said:
Having said all that, I'm sure you'd still see a lot of cool stuff with these binoculars, so if you have a chance to pick them up cheap, go for it!

I agree.

Likes Doc Al
George Jones said:
The steadiness of the view is a function of both magnification and weight. The larger the magnification, the more every shake is enhanced. The heavier the bins, the harder they are to hold steady. I suspect that your 11x80s are heavier than the 10x42s.

You're right. I'm sure they are a lot heavier. From that standpoint, 10x42s might be OK.

Doc Al said:
(I have an opportunity to get them very cheap.)
They are for sale in UK at around £360 and Zeiss is a good make. If your "cheap" price is a lot less than that then you should buy them anyway. Just check they are collimated (that you can focus on something with your eyes relaxed).
There is not doubt that you must use a tripod (adaptor is only a few quid) on a serious session. So you can be sure of not losing something you just spotted. You can also show it to someone else .
The great thing about bins, compared with a ton of wonderful equipment is that you can have them with you at all times.
And there are always birds everywhere.

Likes berkeman
Thanks for the advice!

George Jones said:
Employee's blunt response: "You're too old for 7x50s."
LOL. In that case, I'm WAY too old for 7x50s. :eek:

Doc Al said:
Thanks for the advice!LOL. In that case, I'm WAY too old for 7x50s. :eek:
If you feel too feeble to lift 7X50s and hold them steady, I could suggest some fancy Canon binoculars with auto stabilisation. You could be reeling about under the weight but they would keep the image steady. (Lotsa money, though)

sophiecentaur said:
If you feel too feeble to lift 7X50s and hold them steady,
My only feebleness is mental. o_O And, apparently, the size of my dark-adapted pupil. (Did not consider that it decreases with age!)

sophiecentaur said:
(Lotsa money, though)
And I am cheap! :smile:

Likes sophiecentaur
Doc Al said:
My only feebleness is mental. o_O And, apparently, the size of my dark-adapted pupil. (Did not consider that it decreases with age!)And I am cheap! :smile:
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-equipment/a-pupil-primer/discusses the effect of pupil size and the spread over the ages of observers (and a lot of other stuff). The message is "it depends" so it certainly doesn't mean you shouldn't buy a nice pair of binos. (at a good price)

You still get the other advantages like lack of Chromatic Aberration and good contrast. My Steiner Hawkes are lovely to use, despite having small objectives.

Related to Zeiss Terra ED 10x42 Binos for stargazing?

1. What is the magnification power of the Zeiss Terra ED 10x42 Binos for stargazing?

The Zeiss Terra ED 10x42 Binos have a magnification power of 10x, meaning that objects appear 10 times closer than they would to the naked eye.

2. Are the Zeiss Terra ED 10x42 Binos suitable for stargazing?

Yes, these binoculars are specifically designed for outdoor activities such as stargazing. They have a wide field of view and high-quality optics that make them ideal for observing the night sky.

3. Can I use the Zeiss Terra ED 10x42 Binos with eyeglasses?

Yes, these binoculars have an eye relief of 14mm, which allows for comfortable use with eyeglasses. They also have twist-up eyecups that can be adjusted for optimal viewing with or without glasses.

4. What is the weight of the Zeiss Terra ED 10x42 Binos?

These binoculars weigh approximately 1.25 pounds, making them lightweight and easy to carry for extended stargazing sessions.

5. Is the image quality of the Zeiss Terra ED 10x42 Binos good for stargazing?

Yes, these binoculars have high-quality ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass that reduces chromatic aberration and produces sharp, clear images. They also have fully multi-coated lenses that provide enhanced contrast and brightness for stargazing.