Zero backlash worm gearing for pan and tilt

In summary: A zero backlash worm and wheel can be difficult to find. A zero backlash worm and wheel can be difficult to find. Some companies that sell worm and wheel systems may have one available.
anilks
I am designing a Pan and tilt drive for with stepper motor as prime mover. We need a zero backlash worm drive to transmit 70 Nm. motor torque is 1 Nm. What are the options.. position accuracy is 0.1 deg.

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am no expert on it, but I know people use "scissors gears," where one of the meshing gears is actually two gears with a spring preloading them to contact the front-and back-side of the other gear's teeth. I suppose the preload must be large enough to prevent either side coming out of contact during maneuvers. This will cause more friction, but that may also keep the pan/tilt support from moving once it's positioned.

Thank you for response. I have come across split worm wheel concept while I was browsing. But what kind of Torque it can transmit (Given the PCD and no of starts). I could not figure out.

anilks said:
But what kind of Torque it can transmit
The two halves of the split worm wheel are preloaded by a spring or springs that generate a differential torque between the two halves. The strength of the spring determines the load that can be carried without hysteresis. If the spring is too strong then the worm and wheel will wear at a rate greater than necessary.

Thank you. I should have been more specific. How to calculate the torque that can be transmitted. I want to transmit about 100 N.M in a particular application. What should be the Specification of the worm wheel and shaft?

thank you .

anilks said:
What should be the Specification of the worm wheel and shaft?
Will you design and build your own worm and wheel, or buy from a catalogue?

Baluncore said:
Will you design and build your own worm and wheel, or buy from a catalogue?
I want to buy from catalogue. But looking for zero back lash
Thank you

Related to Zero backlash worm gearing for pan and tilt

1. What is zero backlash worm gearing?

Zero backlash worm gearing is a type of mechanical gearing system that consists of a worm gear and a worm wheel. It is designed to eliminate any play or movement between the gears, ensuring precise and accurate movement.

2. How does zero backlash worm gearing work?

Zero backlash worm gearing works by using a worm gear with a helical thread that meshes with the teeth of a worm wheel. The thread angle is designed in such a way that it creates a self-locking mechanism, preventing any backlash or movement between the gears.

3. What are the advantages of using zero backlash worm gearing for pan and tilt?

There are several advantages to using zero backlash worm gearing for pan and tilt, including high precision and accuracy, smooth and consistent movement, and the ability to handle heavy loads. It also requires minimal maintenance and has a long lifespan.

4. How do you choose the right zero backlash worm gearing for a pan and tilt system?

When choosing the right zero backlash worm gearing for a pan and tilt system, factors such as the required torque, speed, and accuracy must be considered. It is also essential to ensure that the gearing is compatible with the other components of the system.

5. Are there any limitations of using zero backlash worm gearing for pan and tilt?

While zero backlash worm gearing has many advantages, there are also some limitations to consider. For example, it may not be suitable for high-speed applications, and it may require a more complex design and installation process compared to other gearing systems.